Condensation in GPS????

helpful hint
I saw some guy paddling to the SW Kayak Symposium one year. He had been coming down the shore and had a GPS in a hard-shell drybox (the kind I buy) but it had fogged up so badly he couldn’t read the thing.

Don’t know what that humidity and air pressure inside that hard-boxc was doing to his GPS.

I suggested that he collect a few packets of silica-gel… the kind you always find in the box when you buy anything electronic to absorb the moisture…

then toss those into the dry-box.

I do that with all my electronics… never worry about fogging up or humidity damage.

Plus i told someone from IT (the computer guys at work) and they save me the gel-packs for free.

greasing the seals???
Dont use vasaline, if you have a pool use the stuff you grease the O rings on your filter with. Its cheap and it supposidly is better for O rings that get wet.

Or so I have been told. They could be selling me a snake oil.

Seal grease and gel packs
I use silicone grease available in the plumbing departments of hardware stores-doesn’t harm the seal rings. After dealing with condensation in dry sacks I began using the silicagel packs that aquapack sells, or any packs I can scrounge from an electronics store. They work, but never for too long- I go through alot. It is the battery compartment seal that fails on the 76csx- doesn’t take much to cook it in my experience- like maybe three drops of saltwater. Good unit otherwise- if I’m going to be out in the rough stuff I usually stow it for the duration. Cheers------------New Years Day

What if…
What if you knew it had a good chance of getting wet and you knew the batteries would last?

Couldn’t you just vacuum seal it like you do your steaks and porkchops?

No need to.
Just use a clear, pliable waterproof dry bag such as EWa-marine, Harmony or equal.

Cheers,

JackL