confused newbie - rudder or not?

resale
I would agree this could be a problem at resale. Did you receive a discount you weren’t aware of? Seconds/blems are normally discounted; a boat that can never have a rudder added (is that the case?) should, IMO, have a significant discount.

Since the name of this game is trading up as your skills increase, you may very well want to resell this boat much sooner than you imagine. Protect your investment.

Funny Or Maybe Just Interesting
Rudders cause more controversy than almost any other area of paddling. I know how to paddle a boat without a rudder. I have paddled boats effectively that did not have a rudder. My current boat has a rudder and I use it often, I also paddle my current boat without a rudder at times. Why do I use a rudder, because using it adds to my enjoyment. Rudders are not designed for for turning, that is a crock. Look at how racers turn at the mark. Yes, rudders do help keep a boat going in the direction that you want when wind, waves, or current is attempting to have you go elsewhere.

When I get my next boat, if it is a sea kayak, it will have a rudder.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

???
"I do want you to know that the boat is sound in its construction.[…]If you look at the stern of the boat the rudder post has been filled in - this is the cause for being a “blem”. "

Did you get a really good price? I don’t know what the dealer’s statement means. Ask them if the “blem” would affect the strength of the rudder mount.

Options
When I ordered my car,I told them to take off the Power Steering ! It’s “Only a Crutch” ! LOL :slight_smile:

rudder issue
I don’t know if I got a really good price - I am thinking not. It came as a “package” - this included a spray skirt, a pfd and paddles. I had to pay a bit more because the pfd that was included was awful and didn’t fit at all so I had to get a different one. The total price came to 1037.00. The way they priced it out on the receipt is like this: kayak - 777.05, adventure skirt - 59.95, Sting Ray AL/FG 220 - 102.00, LDB PFD - 98.00

It is the only place that sells kayaks within 150 miles of me so I don’t have a lot of choice. My biggest concern I guess was whether the boat was of sound construction and whether I would be doing myself a disfavor if sometime in the future I decided I did want a rudder. Since I am very ignorant on the subject, I need advice. It is too bad the shop people didn’t give me any at the time. Since I went in with the intention of buying a Tsunami 125 or 140, the price wasn’t a major factor as far as that goes. I did think I was getting a new boat however and did not know it was a 2nd. Maybe I should just take it back on principal and get one that has the capability of having a rudder or just get one with a rudder and not use it if I don’t need it. I feel like I got cheated and my ignorance was taken advantgage of. :frowning:

that’s unfortunate

– Last Updated: Jun-03-07 8:39 PM EST –

as a package deal it looks like a good price to me. It sounds like you were not aware of the concept of seconds or blems in plastic boat sales and the shop didn't emphasize the fact, methinks they have it written down somewhere or it was mentioned once.
The problem little shops have is that they can't compete with places like Dicks straight on price so they look to find ways of getting the lowest cost.
I don't think you were taken. Learning to paddle without a rudder is an essential skill to paddling efficiently with a rudder.
It is as of sound construction as 1st quality production. You can add a rudder anytime. Personally I wouldn't install a Perception rudder.
Seconds and blems are one way for the manufacturer to recoup the cost of flawed but usable kayaks and a way for retailers to stock rental fleets. The real stinker is when an outfitter or retailer uses blems for rentals then tries to sell them based on a regular wholesale price.

Sounds like a good deal
I think the retail on that boat is $999. I would have paid that price for the boat even if they told me what the blem was. Enjoy the boat. You haven’t been taken.

Question
Without having a Carolina to look at, I’m guessing that there’s usually a through-hole in the stern for the rudder pivot, and that in this case the core pin or whatever molds the hole was left out. If the hole is normally in a solid plastic section(as opposed to being a sleeve in a hollow section), is there a reason that it can’t be drilled out? I know that polyethylene is difficult to drill/ream smoothly because it’s so soft, but there’s probably a way to do it if a ruder is desired.

rudder issue #2
I know we talked about the rudder with the dealer because we remember him saying he had one in the back. I guess we thought that was the one we were getting. He pointed out the fact that the one I was trying on did not have the capability of putting a rudder on later and that they did have one that did not have a rudder but did have the capability. I honestly don’t remember if we ever decided on a rudder or not. My husband says he thought we were getting one with the capability to have one later if I wanted it. There has been a lot of varied responses to this question and I think I am more confused now than before! I did not think of resale value I guess because I didn’t figure on ever selling this one. But, one never knows what might happen in the future. I just want to get a good kayak that I can use. I feel like the dealer was not up front with me - did not take the time to explain exactly what I was getting (perhaps why it was a package deal??) Never having bought a kayak before, I did not know anything about package deals being seconds. I figured it was a package because you needed everything that was included and they could package it with perhaps cheaper add ons. Anyway, I emailed him back and said I would like to return it for the one with a rudder, That way, it is there if I want to use it and if I don’t, well, I don’t have to but I have the option.

Did you pay for a rudder
If you paid for a ruddered boat, you should have one, not because you need one or not because its essentual or because you may only use it a couple times.

If you got a great deal on the boat and and a ruddered boat is going to set you back more, I wouldnt worry about it. If you can pick up a ruddered boat for the same price, take this one back and get the one with the rudder.

package deal
is whatever the retailer says it is. If the package is kayak, cheese and crackers then that’s the package. It doesn’t mean it’s a seconds boat. Package deals are exactly for folks like you who don’t want to make twenty seven possible decisions when three are more than enough. Sounds like it’s time to go paddling.