Considering Zephyr 160 -

Forget the color, please.
Forget the color. If they have a 160, try to bargain a few more bucks off for their f up (and your time and gas money), and take whatever color boat they have. If you’re as into paddling this time next year, you probably won’t give 2 poops because it’ll be scratched up and performance will be way more than looks to you. Plus, if you take what they have you get to paddle a lot more this year.

If you take whatever color boat they have and you’re not into paddling next year, you can sell it and color choice is not nearly as large a factor in the used market. Plus, if you don’t take a boat, you don’t paddle for the rest of this year and you’re that much more likely to not even pursue it next year.

Color should really be the last of your concerns.

Eastern Mountain Sports
My experience with EMS has been very good. They should replace the boat with the model you intended to purchase. Though I understand wanting your desired color, it should not be essential.

Get the boat that you want
Color obviously isn’t important to Kanoo, and it just as obviously is to you.

Color does matter to some people
Get the color you want. Have EMS order it if needed as it is their error. They have always treated me well and they stand behind their products/service. The main inconenience is the drive you will have to do to take the boat back and then to pick up the new one. Home shipping available?

Thanks, but no thanks -

– Last Updated: Oct-03-11 9:15 PM EST –

Kanoo - I appreciate your advice about Kayaking but to be blunt - I'll do my own negotiating thank you very much. I honestly did not mean to give the impression I was looking for advice about how to work with EMS. I may be green when it comes to paddling a Kayak, but when it comes to negotiating the resolution of a dispute I'm quite confident.

Resolved - EMS did the right thing.

– Last Updated: Oct-03-11 7:09 PM EST –

After we figured out that it was the manufacturer that made the mistake EMS contacted the manufacturer to help work out a resolution. As it turns out the manufacturer has a Red Zephyr 160 in stock. It will be shipped to EMS immediately. We will do a swap when it comes in. Should be a couple of weeks. All is well.

The bottom line is that EMS accepted their responsibility and made it happen. Color and all. They did the right thing.

I can't wait to get this Z160 in the water!

Hey,
If you ask for advice and don’t get what you want to hear, no need to get pissy! Doing completely without just because you couldn’t get it in the color you wanted seemed a little…

Anyways, congratulations on getting exactly what you wanted. It was lucky they had a red one for you, it would have sucked to miss all the paddling left this year.

Gald to hear - congratulations.
Glad to hear EMS acted as they usually do – responsibly.

Sorry
You’re right - shouldn’t have pushed the send button on that one.

I do genuinely appreciate the advice here. I was in a bad mood. Please accept my apology on that one.

My mood has definitely improved now!

Cool beans
Have fun paddling your rad new boat! Be sure to report back and tell us all about it.

good to hear
I’m surprised that no one at EMS identified the problem given that the kayak said Zephyr 155 on it.

EMS has fantastic deals but their staff must be stretched sometimes. The local EMS here was selling some very neat inexpensive fixed/freewheel single speed city bikes but the brake cable clips on the top tube were rotated 90degrees to the right so the screws/nuts were exposed on the left side. Pretty much guaranteed to tear open the inside of your thigh with any kind of off axis pedaling or leaning. The bike sat like that for a couple months until I mentioned it to the manager.

My experience too
I like EMS - and I am very happy with their satisfaction guarantee and the fact that they apply the policy even to expensive items like Kayaks. But you are correct - they are stretched thin. When I picked up this boat there was a bike race going on at EMS and they were understaffed. The fellow that helped me was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Also, after I picked up the Tsunami some time ago I shortly discovered that the rudder was installed incorrectly. I fixed it myself which is fine - forced me to learn how it works - but you’re correct, there are little things like that.

Happy with my new Zephyr 160
I finally got a chance to get out with this new Zephyr 160 today on a river with some good current. Suffice to say I love this boat. The 15.5 is too small for me. This boat fits well. Very lively. A joy to paddle. It will take me a long way along the learning cure for sure.

congrats!
glad it all worked out. The 160 will be a better boat for you!

steve

Definitely
So what’s the story behind the “flatpick” id? I’ve been known to wield a flatpick from time to time.

my baby
pics a mando, I pick a guitar now…ever since high school. more fun in the winter when I don’t have as much going on!

steve

me too
guitar and mando

too busy lately with new job

had em out today though - might be time to get back at it.

zephyr paddler weight
what is the recommended paddler weight for the zephyr 155 and 160