Covering distance

Thanx envyabull
That is very interesting and useful information. I am a bit of a statistic nut about my kayak(s).

Something interesting to ponder…

ah but just skip all that stuff
:slight_smile:

thought it was a Kestral

Fast and easy not the same
You are asking two different questions, and there is no correct, straightforward answer for either of them. The boat with the fastest potential hull speed is not likely to be the same one as the one that can most “easily cover distances.” You could have a heavy hull with the highest potential hull speed if the paddler pushing it has big enough muscles. But this boat is not likely to be the one which uses the least energy at a good cruising speed. You are asking for two different things: boats that require the lowest expenditure of energy and have a relatively high cruising speed is one thing. Boats with the maximum potential hull speed is another.

is Kayaking a RACE?..
sometimes it is, I understand that, but I have come to the conclusion that the only time I’m unhappy with my boat is when I’m trying to keep up with folks who seem to think that the total paddling time to destination is the only metric of import.

So…

I’m back to solo paddling, where the idea is to enjoy the time spent on the water…I’ll get there when I get there…

CD Kestrel 120HV

Race, no… but,
When it comes to covering miles… a faster, more efficient boat will get you from point A to B faster, and, depending on how hard you pushed, you’ll have arrived with more gas left in your tank.

please consider used kevlar
Used kevlar can be cheaper than new plastic. My kevlar www.westsideboatshop.com eft (extra fast touring)twice did the 20 mile www.blackburnchallenge.com in 3hours and 20 minutes. The web site lists what model boat went how fast. Some plastic boats finished the race but why torture your self with slow?

Plastic boats are rugged but are not made to cover a lot of miles. Sounds like you like to go fast and will eventually move up from a 4cyl plastic to a V-8 kevlar!

Exellent puddlefish, but
I’m coming to believe that many kayakers are not interested in facts or hydrodynamics. They want a simple answer and are not inclined to look at their power output in a realistic sense. Just tell me what’s the fastest boat…the answer is probably one they can’t paddle anywhere near it’s potential. My belief is that many just do not want to have this discussion as it’s apparently too confusing, and / or challenges dogma they are heavily invested in and unwilling to challenge. Sort of a form of Natural Selection in a way. Sell em what they think they want…and that is part of the specialty decline.

As you know the correct question is “What’s the fastest kayak for me, and my ability?” Chances are that aint the kayak with the highest potential speed. The brochures have really influenced people over the years.

Long skinny and stiff
If you can keep it upright with no effort the longer, thinner and stiffer the better. This is a rough but fairly reliable rule.

Prijuns Barracuda seams fine. Eddyline Fathom is good and others sneak in there like the old Millennium from Old Town.

Some surf skis (all surf skis) kick ass but I would nor want to park a paddle and try to have coffee and a sandwich in one with or without a mild swell running.

The VCP Nordcapp LV is the nicest comfortable boat I have paddled that qualifies as fast. It’s glass and still tender if you are not comfortable.