Cowboy scramble reentry??

I make it about 1 in 8 in flat water
I’ve played around with cowboy re-entry and had next to zero luck. It wouldn’t even make my list. It’s probably the hardest way to get back in my boat. Too tiring and unreliable (at least for me and my 21" wide boat). Different people, different boats, just make sure whatever you use to re-enter will really work when you need it.

I’m with the re-enter and roll crowd, much easier.

And…
a roll might be easier to learn than a “reliable” cowboy scramble. It’s also a fast and elegant self rescue technique when compared to most others. Doesn’t hurt to know them, but I wonder how many can do the Cowboy or the paddle float re entry and pump out in rough conditions.

First tried the cowboy scramble…
… with Roger Schumann himself just two weeks ago.

Steve described the technique perfectly in his replies and the three webshots pix make a great complement. My comments:

• definitely faster than anything involving a paddle float

• assumes some bracing ability, at least for getting those legs back in the cockpit

• works quite well on calmer water. I would NOT, however, downplay paddle float skills, as I think that even for an experienced paddler who might be having trouble with a roll the cowboy may be insufficient for squirrely conditions

• I agree that for most folks the cowboy scramble ranks below the various roll recoveries but above those involving floats

BTW, a great way to get comfortable with the drill is to do it in reverse: brace and get the knees/legs out of the cockpit and into the water, get your butt up on the back deck while still bracing, crouch low to the deck and shimmy backwards a ways, then swing a leg over and hop off the boat. Nice way to get in the water slowly for those who don’t enjoy that first dunking during rescue/recovery practice.

Glad I’ve added it to my repertoire,

Glenn

yep
Practicing getting in and out of the boat (and sitting on deck) while in deeper water helped make the scramble easier.

yeppers again
when you get good at sittin’, standin’, cowboyin’, climbin’, wrestlin’,and generally fartin’ around on the deck of your kayak, you are G2G.

One should have the ability and familiarity of all of the above and yes even in ‘conditions’ to know what works and what doesn’t.

It’s soooo EZ. as well. Practice often when overheated, bored, etc. Kayaks are for more than getting from A to B.

:wink:

steve

yes it’s worth learning
some hull shapes and cockpit configurations are better suited than others.

Yes… The Boat Matters
Last year out on the lake I couldn’t do cowboy squat in my sea kayak. Not with a paddle float, not no how.

This winter at pool skool they were teaching us to roll in those short, fata$$ ww boats and the cowboy thing was easy as pie!

I WILL practice when the weather warms up a little more.

OK while we are on the subject
This winter I was at a pool class and one of the guys teaching rolling had a very small whitewater boat (Rip?). It had the spray skirt still attached and he did the coolest cowboy I have ever seen sliding in the skirt while attached to the boat, both right side up and upside down doing a hand roll up. Several of the ladies there commented on how “sexy” that was … so there you go guys, a new skill to work on.

Oh Droool…

– Last Updated: Apr-30-04 6:16 AM EST –

that's just so sexy! :)

Seriously, you would have to use a pretty loose skirt to pull that off. I have a hard time getting my skirt on land, never mind in the water when everything is wet and slippery. Granted neo stretch seems to increase a bit when wet.

I have done a skirt reattachment while under as part of reenter and roll. But, truthfully, by the time I finished wriggling around, reattaching the skirt and rolling up, the SOF was just as flooded as doing a simple reentry and roll. Maybe, I'll try again with a higher volume boat like the Montauk.

sing

owwwww ahhhhh
sexy pool tricks…yawn.

steve

Great for snorkeling
This is a great re-entry for snorkeling from your boat in calm waters. I use it a lot when in Belize on my annual winter pilgrammage. It’s a little tougher to get on the back of the boat when it’s empty as it rides higher. I find the easiest way is to float stretched straight back and think of pulling the boat under me rather than climbing up onto the boat. I also keep my fins on until I’m in the cockpit, as the area they cover gives me a lot more balance (although here the trick is moving forward with them on). Of course, down there, staying in the water a long time is no issue (actually, it’s why I’m there), and I’m also in a boat wider and more stable than my Caribou.