Cranberry Lake

Cranberry Lake, ice out not yet
Cranberry Lake is still frozen solid. I’ll let you know when the ice is out. Could be October. Consider Lake Placid instead. Also, please post the way points for the nudest camp on Buck Island.

you can’t miss it

– Last Updated: Jul-20-08 9:30 PM EST –

Nessmuk,

Wondered when we did not hear from you for so long if you were well. Glad to hear that you survived the rabid moose attack on your jet ski advantures climbing the Cat Mountain trail.

I see that you are ready for your next Cranberry Lake caper.

Use waypoint #28 from my original post, it will get you in the vicinity of Buck Island's ever popular beach vollyball court.

As you are going to be dragging your "Wee boot", per your most recent post, across the pack ice of Cranberry Lake's frozen and wind lashed surface, ever onwards toward the Eldorado of Buck Island Nudist (sic) Camp, might I suggest wearing Chota Quicklace Mukluks, high top Smart Wool Socks and a Gore Windstopper (TM) codpiece.

Then of course there are the many hidden up wellings in the ice caused by the numerous underwater springs - some of which I trust in due time you will find.

Enjoy your experience on Buck Island. And don't forget the sunscreen.

Did I forget to warn you about the polar bears you may also encounter?

MikeT

Added Photo Gallery to Original Post
Scanned color photographs taken using Kodak, single use, water resistant cameras.

Time of year is mostly late fall and early spring.

Sorry no particular order, but if you wade through them, you’ll get a feel for the place.

http://www.paddling.net/photography/gallery/viewGallery5.html?gid=112

Nice Photos
Mike, nice photos, thanks. It looks like Lake Placid though.

You are right
All I need to complete this series are some photographs of the horse-drawn tourist carriage tours of the Lake Placid downtown area.

I’ll get right on that!

Thanks

Snowshoeing on Dead Creek Flow
We were down on Dead Creek today. Snowshoeing but the bugs are not too bad. It’s a terrible place, I’m glad most people are staying away. No ice out yet, we’ll let you know.

I didnt see any ice
but then again I was paddling my submarine…

wondered about that sonar contact
but I thought (erroneously) that it must be our hardy nessmuk, paddling his “wee boot” along the bottom of Dead Creek Flow.

Check it out
Recently developed 50 mile hiking trail that circumnavigates Cranberry lake http://cranberrylake50.org/

This trail should open up endless paddle/hike and hike/paddle options for those whose knees are not yet too “tired” - unfortunately that does not include me.

A great area for outdoor recreation just got better.

kayakmedic,

Lace up those hiking boots!

MikeT

Update/Revision GPS Waypoints
Hope to be paddling on Cranberry “soon”.

Until then, I have to content myself with paddling on Hannawa Pond, and playing with Goggle Earth Version 5.0.

Mike

Cranberry Lake
Is the ice out?

Got a message

– Last Updated: Apr-11-09 8:46 AM EST –

from a Cranberry Lake year-around-resident, dated April 4th, that the ice was out of the main body of lake as far as they could see from Cranberry Lake Village.

However, my guess is that in some back flows (e.g. Bear Mountain Flow) ice may not have melted yet. I plan to be paddling on Cranberry soon.

Check out Post #3 on this thread:
http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=11154

On April 9th, I personally observed that the ice was out of Tupper Lake.

Hope you and your "wee boot" had a good winter.

MikeT

Cranberry Lake, ice?
Mike, thanks for the update. I hope it’s open this week from Wanakena.

Nessmuk,
how was your paddle on Cranberry out of Wanakena?

For me today - what a lovely sunny day in a lovely sunny place: Cranberry Lake!

Cranberry Lake Village direct paddle to camp Site #25 on Joe Indian: friendly NE wind gently pushing you where you want to go; could have paddled a bath tub without a skirt.

Around Joe Indian and back toward Cranberry Lake State Campground: “friendly” NE afternoon wind is kicking up to 15 mph to 20 mph and I am going due North - this is why god created kayaks, and I am so happy with her discision to do so.

Nine miles: a modest start to the Cranberry Lake paddling season - not like last year on May 6th when ambition coupled with 20 mph+ winds almost got me an unscheduled sleep over on Joe Indian Island.

Rebecca is so patient with this aging out-of-season paddler.

MikeT

Not paddling on Cranberry Lake
Mike, sounds like you had a respectable paddle, Nessmuk is impressed. We did not get on the water at all due to cabin maintenance demands. Perhaps in a few weeks when we return, to hang out with the black flies. I heard that a cell tower might be installed in Cranberry Lake village, is this a good thing, or not?

Apparently you are not
pulling my leg with your wonderful (I intend no irony here, Mr. N) sense of humor:

http://www.cellreception.com/deadspots/newyork/page1.html

My strictly “personal” opinion is that cell coverage for the Cranberry Lake area, given the number of seasonal residents, many aging like myself, might not be such a bad thing.

MikeT

Cranberry Lake way points help business
Mike, Nessmuk would never pull your leg. In addition to the cell phone tower, a super Walmart is scheduled for Cranberry Lake village too. I sure hope the cell tower has a flashing light on top.

I will be especially interested in

– Last Updated: Apr-21-09 6:18 PM EST –

patronizing the "Paddlers' World" section of the forthcoming Cranberry Lake Super Walmart.

As to the design of the Joe Indian Island cell tower, forget "Frankin" trees and flashing red lights.

Nessmuk, think HUGE...... how about a cell tower disguised as an Old Forge water "attraction" (sic)?

It's going in the mid to upper 70's at Cranberry on Saturday; and the black flies WILL be hungerly awaiting your arrival.

MikeT - part time paddler and full time black fly breeder

Update on Floating Fishing Camps

– Last Updated: Jun-10-09 8:37 PM EST –

On a late May 2008 Brandy Brook Flow paddle, I first noticed the removal of the floating fishing camps.

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=8980&highlight=Brandy+brrok+flow

Since that time residual debris has been gradually removed; and today except for a couple of blue plastic barrels, a few rusted anchor pipes, and a small pile of debris at the far end of Brandy Brook Flow, little trace of the camps remains.

It’s seems a little strange and even a bit sad not to have the camps there, and overall the area looks much improved. With high water I managed paddle up to a small rapids below a bridge that carries the Burntbridge Pond Trail over Brandy Brook.

Great day on Cranberry today: not too much rain and some sun; windy enough to ground the critters and not enough wind to sink the boat; 3 to 4 power boats at a distance; nary another paddler sighted, until I met two other kayakers at the Cranberry Lake Public Campground swimming beach take out!