Crank Shaft Paddles

Werner Kauai Small Diameter Crank
When I bought my boat, my dealer gave me $100 off any paddle. I used the opportunity to order a Werner Kauai small diameter crankshaft. I had tried a standard diameter crankshaft in the Camano style, but wanted a shorter, more aggressive paddle, and the Kauai seemed to fit the bill. It only felt funny for the first hour or so. I really didn’t like it at first. But a friend of mine had recently purchased the same paddle, and said she hated it for the first hour, then forgot all about it. Then she grew to love it. That encouraged me, and she was right. After the first hour you don’t notice that it’s so different. It starts feelig very natural.

I, like Greyhawk, like a 15 degree feather on it. It just seems to position everything just right, and I don’t have to think about it. Since getting this paddle, I have not experienced the wrist, elbow and shoulder pain I was having with a straight shaft paddle. Since I tend to tense up when it gets rough, the smaller diameter helps me keep a looser grip. I probably won’t go back to a straight shaft.

Thistleback