Crazy to paddle solo?

Solo paddle
Most of the time if you don’t go alone, you won’t get to go. If you’re not familiar with it, read this for a bit of insight and inspiration

http://www.portagetoportage.com/blog.html

good point about soloing
If I waited until I had someone to go with I would never get out. Like g2d I do find shore paddling more interesting, but all in all 14 miles is not that big of a deal really.

Part of what makes our lives interesting is putting ourselves in challenging positions and seeing how we react to them. Ultimately we come away better for it. Planning out every singe petty detail and possible scenario is boring and uninspiring. Grab a couple sandwiches, a gallon of water, your paddle and boat, and “just do it”. Thats what an adventure is. You won’t die. It will be fun.

float plan
Tell someone responsible where you’re going, what your route will be and when you’ll get there (within reason). Then if you don’t show up someone will come looking.

If something does happen it’s alot better to have someone looking for you than to wish someone was.

Otherwise if the weather is good, no reason to not go.

Bill H.

GO FOR IT
I like to paddle solo occasionally too. The only downside is that it makes my wife, family and friends a little nervous when I do go out alone. However I was given a Spot by my family and that has made a huge difference in their comfort level. I highly recommend you get one and use it. Letting people know where you are and having a rescue option is a good (should be mandatory) practice. As already stated, make sure you know the weather and water conditions and plan accordingly. Have fun. Life is short.

Paddle safe.

ok
I think flippant was the wrong word.

What I meant was that your question seems to be written with the assumption that there’s no way to die kayaking 7 miles offshore. You seemed to me to be saying that rock climbing is dangerous because you die faster. But kayaking isn’t as dangerous or unpredictable because it takes longer to die. But I think that’s a false distinction. In 60 degree water you can die quite easily, from a number of problems or accidents. I don’t think it makes that much difference whether it takes a second or 30 minutes to seal your fate. The bottom line, in my mind, is to be prepared for the things that could kill you. I’d use a rope in case the rock cracks off, and I’d bring emergency signaling devices if I were going to be that far from shore.

VHF isn’t going to do anything on Tahoe though, as I don’t believe anyone is listening. If you determine that a cell phone will work way out there, then I’d get a waterproof case that allows you to use it while it’s in the bag.

VHF on Tahoe?
Will a VHF be at all useful on Lake Tahoe? Who would be listening?

That location might require a PLB for emergency communications.

Good point
Well, the Tahoe info is new since the radio posts - but I would want some way to shout for help in the middle of a big pond.

sounds good to me
Shoot, I paddled across West Galveston Bay and back in an Ocean Kayak Frenzy, just “because it was there”, was actually fairly arduous on the return trip due to the headwind, but really, what better reason is there for a kayaker or canoer to cross a body of water? It’s not like we are doing brain surgery here, it’s a hobby. We do it because it’s fun, and because it pushes us, and because it sometimes feels adventurous to set a goal to cross a specific body of water near us.

Sounds like you’re set…
… for self-rescue. A couple of things that come to mind are 1, what are you wearing? 60F water is perty cold.

And 2, what are your other means of “communication” (wrong word, right one is eluding me)? Whistle, flares, etc.

Wind
The key variable is the wind. Not when you launch, when you get tired. Yes, I have heard terrible stories about extended solo crossings. They all involved failing to account for the wind or tide or current (only the wind should be relevant on a lake). Just having someone else along only partially alleviates these risks.

Committed distance solo kayaking requires high quality weather forecasting skills, and knowing when to postpone or turn back. A 14 mile crossing is not at all comparable to a 14 mile shore trip, you not understanding this does not bode well for you. Do you trust your life on your ability to be completely self sufficient no matter what develops? Never count on being rescued. Getting hit by a power boat is a significant risk in many waters.

Go, but prepare carefully
First, to be that far offshore solo, I think it is critical to be sure your roll is automatic. The biggest danger is an unexpectedly large wind that causes a capsize. Paddle float backup can easily go bad in a strong wind if the float blows away. Minor problem with a companion, major problem if solo. Be sure you can roll even with with a strong wind and waves pushing you back down, and that you can switch sides if that happens. Take extra paddle, have it on deck, and know how to get it and roll with it if you lose your paddle in a capsize. If you haven’t practiced enough to be completely sure about this, don’t go unless you are 100% sure from the weather report that there is no chance of strong winds coming up.

Second biggest danger is lightning. So I would never be more than a mile from a landing spot if there is any chance at all of a thunderstorm coming up.

As others have said: Check and double-check weather. Take phone AND VHF. VHF should be on PFD, not in boat. Give someone a float plan. Dress for immersion for 4-5 hours. Take extra paddle and have it instantly accessible.

I started going on open-ocean solo trips 5 years ago. I find being alone on the water intensely exhilarating. Following the rules above, especially for weather, I have always felt safe. I was initially apprehensive about boat traffic, but only once was in a situation where a lobster boat speeding back to port didn’t see me (skipper was on cell phone and not looking) and I had to paddle hard to get a margin of error.

The only really bad time I’ve had in dozens of off-shore trips was once when I got seasick 7 miles offshore by looking at my chart instead of the horizon for too long (and having skipped breakfast). I was puking and dry-heaving uncontrollably for 45 minutes. (As someone said about being truly sea-sick, “For the first half-hour of dry-heaving, you’re afraid you’re going to die from puking up your guts. Then after a while, you’re afraid you’re not going to die.”) And I could only paddle feebly (and still feeling miserable) for several hours afterward. I never had a problem since by being sure to eat a big breakfast and look at horizon periodically when consulting chart and while eating or drinking.

I don’t know about Lake Tahoe, but on the ocean if things go bad you can call 1-800-SEA-TOW (and they monitor Channel 16) before having to call the coast guard and show up on the TV news as “kayaker rescued by coast guard”.

let us know when you get back
with lessons learned and how all the advice applied.

I say go for it !
I would only add listen to the forcast and if there is any doubt about the wind or storm conditions wait for that perfect day.

I am assuming you have a GPS and a way point where you want to land, since you won’t see any land marks from that distance, unless there is a stack from a power plant.

We only come this way once, and if your are confidant of your skills, there is no reason a month or so after you do it you can’t brag to yourself about your accomplishment.

Jack L

Thanks for the input

– Last Updated: Jul-28-10 7:11 PM EST –

Just like on the rock climbing forums, the input here is as diverse as at a political discussion.

I must say that those who think I'm flippant, or suggest that I think that 14 miles across the lake is the same as 14 miles along the shore, are just plain wrong. I've never asked advice about paddling along the shore for any distance in any condition. I'm asking advice, so clearly there is a difference.

Here is what I get from this thread:

1. Many people suggest this is bad. Yes, it is a serious bummer if the wind picks up or I have a heart attack in the middle. I get that.

2. Many people suggest that I just go for it.

3. Some people had reasonable suggestions. Of those, good self-rescue skills and a radio seemed to be important. Oh, and a float plan which I've already taken care of with my wife who will pick me up on the other side at a fixed time.

It's lake Tahoe. I've been paddling on it for a few years now. I understand the weather and have been out in the worst of it. There is only so much fetch so there really is a limit to how bad it can get.

The problem of taking a piss is now of great concern ;-)

I appreciate anyone who understands that there is no real way to tell if I am qualified or not based on a forum post. The only thing I'd like to see is suggestions from anyone saying this is a bad idea to tell me what to do to work up to it besides taking a marine radio and checking the weather.

Dave

P.S. Risk is not new to me. I have a private pilot license, I rock climb, mountain bike, back country ski, and do a few other things. I have always tried to get as good as possible at these things before taking them to a higher level of risk. Posting questions on an internet forum was a new thing for me and it's interesting how it worked out.

P.P.S.

The plan is to leave Cave Rock before 8:00 am and to get to Tahoe City in about 3.5 hours. Maybe 4 hours if I try to tone down the effort to keep more comfortable. The only thing left to do is pick a day based on my wife's schedule and on the weather forecast.

Anyone who wants to come along is welcome.

[edit to change estimated time to 4 hours instead of 3.5]

ditto
on the marine radio–that way if you use it everybody within range can hear you and assist—other than that it sounds like a fun trip

Taking a leak problem solved !
I do many long distance open water paddles, and I simply pee into a sponge. You might have to engage a few muscles to stop and hold the flow as the sponge gets full, and hold it while you rinse it out, but it sure beats peeing in your pants.

Jack L.

Suggestion for working up to this
You might consider an all day lesson with somebody who has done some solo long distance paddling, and ask them for their opinion. I already mentioned Sean Morley in the Bay Area. Ask him to take you out the Golden Gate into the roughest conditions he can find and see how you do.

He will be able to give you a good evaluation. If you have never done a combat role or a self rescue in really rough conditions, it could be educational for you and would give you a pretty realistic idea of your abilities. Sean is also very experienced in assessing risk and planning for solo trips. I am sure that other instructors could work out too.

If you are resistant to a lesson, you could do a dry run near shore on a high wind and wave day. I know you have done this - but I would suggest that every half hour you do a roll and a self rescue in those conditions. If you are still strong at the end, that would inspire a lot of confidence.

My experience is that rolling and rescuing in tough conditions is a lot different, and also that real life rolls and rescues are a lot different than practice in a pool or easy conditions or when you are fresh. I think that a second opinion from somebody highly qualified would be a lot of fun and could give you a lot of confidence. Alternately, it could show you that it is not a good idea for you now.

It’s much better to discover your limits with a highly qualified instructor in a relatively controlled situation than to discover them alone in the middle of Lake Tahoe.

Good Suggestions. Thanks.
SactoBob,

Paddling in really rough conditions with an instructor sounds like a great experience. I’ll have to look into that and would do it even if not preparing for a trip like this.

The suggestion about doing self-rescue in rough conditions sounds great too. That’s the type of thing I was hoping to hear about here. I’ll definitely do that and I’ll likely end up swimming :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Dave

Mental practice. Flares. Gators.
I certainly agree with the radio and GPS, and I’ll add a couple of things I don’t think have been addressed.

Some very physically capable paddlers get very nervous or even paralyzed with fear when they get out of sight of land. Make sure you have the mental preparation to avoid this phenomenon.

Take some new flares you know will work. Just in case you end up in the drink, there are usually lots of boats on Tahoe and they should see flares.

I had a gator puncture and eventually sink my outrigger canoe in a lake in Florida, but that probably wouldn’t happen in Tahoe.

Here’s a link
This link is to the instruction page on Sean’s Website (River and Ocean).

http://www.riverandocean.com/river_and_ocean_content/?page_id=5

It is not always easy to get time with Sean, so call early.