Creek Boat / River boat

As Dr. Disco said,
“Dagger Mamba series, Jackson hero series, Diesel series, Pyranha Burn series” and also the Remix 79. In all cases you will be looking at the largest size. These are great river runners where the designer(s) also had some creek boating in mind.

Example of a kayak that could (barely) float you, makes a wonderful river runner, but not for creeks: Dagger Axiom.

Usually to optimise river running, a designer will be borrowing slalom features, and the more like a slalom boat, the less like a steep creeker. So you have to choose something from the river runner menu with an eye to what you want to do when not just cruising rivers. I would choose the Axiom. I have never explored a small creek that can be called “steep.”

Thanks for that
I’ll start poking around and see if I can find something used.

Definitely go to boatertalk.com
There are lots of river runners for sale on gear swap there.

Green Boat
I see this boat. Does this work as a river boat? Not looking for a boat to do tricks with - might want to surf a little if the opportunity presents itself. Mostly just run down a river and catch eddies etc. Might also want to be able to paddle upstream a few miles and then run back down to the truck on some rivers. I am comfortable narrower sea kayaks.

all good
All good advise. I’m sure your all right I don’t need a creek boat., but was looking at the Liquid Logic Grand Jeffe, and the Remix 79… Thought they would both handle my weight good. I’m also looking at the Liquid Logic xp 10, but not sure thats the right boat. I want something that will handle up to class 3 easily. I have a loon 120 toruning boat now, and Just got my son a Jackson rougue 9.

JB

Vimeo
look up some footage of the Green River Race, you’ll see what the Green Boat is capable of. it’s heavy though

The XP10 is over 100 gals and has a roomy cockpit, so I would think it would be a great river runner for big guys. I tried a Dagger Approach 10 for awhile but it was too big for me at 185#

Boater talk
has a lot of used boats listed but hardly any up my way in New England/New York. Can anyone point me to some good sources for used boats up in the northeast?

old reviews
IMO, a typical creekboat isn’t as much fun as a typical river-runner in easier stuff. The features that help it stay upright in ugly stuff limit responsiveness in easier water.

Old reviews, but might help if you’re looking used.

http://nocpaddlingschool.blogspot.com/2008/04/2008-river-runnercreeker-boat-reviews.html

http://nocpaddlingschool.blogspot.com/2007/05/whats-best-beginner-boat.html

:slight_smile:
Quote:IMO, a typical creekboat isn’t as much fun as a typical river-runner in easier stuff. The features that help it stay upright in ugly stuff limit responsiveness in easier water. Quote:

Thats good to know… Thats kinda the info I was looking for. Maybe I should stick with the Remix 79, Xp and I’m now looking at the Fusion.

JB

This must be creeking;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FUy97V1S6Q

I’ll probably stick to river running - :slight_smile:

NPMB
http://www.npmb.com/cms2/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?2

Yep
That is creeking, pretty tight lines on the upper part of the run, and missing a boof is not good (verticle pin). That was mostly Class IV stuff, but there are a lot of rather fun Class III runs that are more open, but still creeky. I really like drop-pool creeky stuff with short rapids. Last trip on one of those it was about 18 easy Class IIIs – great fun even in a playboat.

Jim

After looking at the Green Boat hull,
and watching a guy try to play the Nanty in it, I think it’s mainly a steep creek racer and a ww cruiser, but is probably not as good a river runner as the old Pirouette.

I love long boats, but there are lots of things river runners need to do that a long kayak like the Green Boat is not suited for. Again, my functional test is that a good river runner should be at least a decent slalom boat, and the Green Boat isn’t.