Crossover or Touring/Sea Kayak?

I would add the NDK Romany Sportive to your list. It’s slightly longer, about 15.5 feet I think. It’s their LV poly model, a very good all around sea kayak.

1 Like

@SuperflyTNT thanks for the tip - that looks like a very nice kayak. But I think probably a bit beyond my price range :blush:

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update and to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my post with help and advice. After looking at many boats and trying a few, I ended up buying the Dagger Stratos 14.5S. Although I’ve only paddled it a couple of times and on calm water so far, I absolutely love it! I’m not mad on the colour (would have preferred something brighter) but I didn’t have a choice on that due to general lack of availability of this model. My partner and I started a sea kayaking course yesterday and we’re joining a paddling club that has all kinds of programs across many disciplines. Very exciting :laughing:.

3 Likes

Great result! Looks good, and now come the modifications.

1 Like

Is a skirt on the way to you? You can do a lot of stuff with this boat once you have that literally covered.

1 Like

Outstanding choice. And the color pops! You will learn to roll it in the next year too.

1 Like

@Celia a custom skirt has been ordered but will take a couple of weeks :grin:

@kayakhank thanks! Looking forward to learning a whole bunch of skills!

Hi All,

An update on my Stratos adventures so far … I absolutely love this boat and so feel I definitely made the right decision in purchasing it. I’ve completed my first sea kayaking course using it and re-entries are no problem over the rear deck. It’s stable, tracks straight and is nimble in the surf (have only tried small stuff up to 1.5M so far). I haven’t tried to roll in it yet but will be attending a clinic in a few months when the water is a little warmer, as well as another sea kayaking course. I’ve taken it up a narrowish river (what you folks would probably call a creek) with a fast current but no rapids. Also paddling a couple of times a week on our local reservoirs right now in Winter in a mixture of glass as well as some pretty rough conditions and this boat hasn’t missed a beat. I’ve resisted the temptation to do any modifications while I experiment with different ways of gear storage. I feel as my skills and fitness are improving so is my level of enjoyment. I’ve joined a club and really getting a lot out of this activity, especially as an outlet during lockdown. Looking forward to a few overnight trips come Summer!

6 Likes