Curious about surfskis

Castoff, if that last boat doesn’t haunt your daydreams…

1 Like

You Stop it Too!

Hmmmm I think that boat might be a bit huge for me? I am 5’5" and 110 lbs soaking wet.

There might actually be a dealer here who carries both Epic and Stellar. There is some confusion as to whether or not they are still in business. The guy who bought my WW kayak today said he went by and they had a sign up that they are permanently closed. But their website is still active and they have new future events on the calendar. I wonder if they went to an appointment only scenario for the time being and simply closed up their retail shop until times are better. I hope they are doing a healthy business, and that they have demos or will in the future. Their phone is disconnected but I emailed and am hopeful.

Why can’t I edit the title of this thread?? Trying to change it to “wherein we enable castoff into buying a surfski”

3 Likes

I still have an old Shearwater, one of the first skis. It is so low tech compared to what is out there now.

I also have a few year old Fenn Mako 6. I love that boat, but it has so much rocker it rolls over and plays dead in flatwater.

It might be easiest to find an Epic dealership and try a few boats. Their V-8 is just an 18x hull with a surfski deck on it. The seat isn’t bad. but it is stable enough you could glue a piece of foam in it.

The most comfortable seats I have sat in were in Think surfskis, but they are kind of hard to find.

Everything else you need to know is already covered.

1 Like

At 110lb you NEED a low volume ski like a V10L, Fenn spark, knsya dolphin, nelo 540m, or similar.

Average volume skis will feel very corky and unstable at 110lb

1 Like

Ah, so that Stellar Falcon is low volume. I was confused by the reference to the size paddlers @Marshall put in it. It’s sure sexy! I think @castoff needs that boat.

I’m not listening…

1 Like

What about now?

3 Likes

@#$%& la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,

Just watch and feel it. Riding amazing waves on our surfskis to promote our online surfski courses! - YouTube

The surfski has a few nice advantages.

It is somewhat liberating to be able to get out on the water with limited gear, no worries about if you will hit your roll for safety, or having a waterlogged boat that may require other paddlers to perform an assisted rescue.

The hulls are really no different than a sea kayak with the exception of a bailer.

They are often lighter and easy to carry and are not all super tippy. You can get into a ski that is every bit as stable of a platform as a sea kayak–which really adds to it’s versatility.

One of my skis is not only stable but also has two bulkheads, a kick up rudder option and a mount for a sail; so it’s perfectly suited for camping and light expeditions.

But honestly, one of the best parts is that there is less of a reliance on continually working on safety skills

1 Like

Oh, man… I need a saltwater rinse in the worst way. I can’t wait until it’s safe for me to travel again. That looks so fun!

I woke up this morning thinking a surfski and cold water paddling is probably not really an option for me. I have a terrible time keeping warm. Being all cozy inside a cockpit with a sprayskirt really helps with that, even after a swim.

Caribbean, Pru. :wink:

Barbados is calling me…