Current Designs Solstice SS Kayak

compromises
What the Solstice gives is that efficiency/glide with tracking for the average new buyer but that tracking becomes a problem in choppy water. If you got a kayak with better handling in conflicted waters and is equally efficient/fast it’ll still require more skill from you than the shorter/wider kayaks.

How Wide is the SSSSSSS PLEASE
And tell me where it is; I might buy it.

It’d be nice if people would put where they are from on their posts so that we could know if there was any chance of stealing their kayak they are looking to purchase…

I’m Glenn, from Michigan, and I’m thinking of buying a Perception Swifty for crossing from California to Hawaii :wink: Any advice???

I have a GTS
and found it to be a very good all around touring boat. It is fast, tracks very well and is a good trip boat. It takes some effort to edge but the technique can be learned and there is a rudder back there to help. The hull is well layed up and the seating position is comfortable and gets better with a little extra foam where needed. Mine is 6 years old and has many miles of pleasure on it.

SS on Ebay…
http://cgi.ebay.com/Current-Designs-Solstice-SS-Sea-Kayak-w-Rudder-Extras_W0QQitemZ7182219164QQcategoryZ36122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rudderless

I guess it is safe to say this kayak needs no rudder.

It’s a great boat!
“DON’T even think of taking this kayak into 3-4’ swells or greater.”

I’m a little late in replying, haven’t checked the boards in a while but wanted to let you know that I’ve routinely had my 1993 SS out in water like this with NO PROBLEMS. A friend of mine taught me to surf and I’ve been having a ball surfing the SS, also with no troubles. I’ve taken 2’ solid beam waves without difficulty. I’m an intermediate paddler on flat water but a novice paddler in the ocean and waves. I’ve never had trouble with the SS, it’s been solid as a rock for me and steady as she goes in all sorts of weird conditions. I also race this boat, and can maintain a 4.8+ mph speed on a 12 1/2 mile course. Others may get better speed, as I said, on my best days I’m only an intermediate paddler on flat water. I have had it well over 5mph on shorter sprints. It’s definitely hard to turn, but I am not the one to ask since anyone who knows me can tell you that ANY boat would be hard for me to turn, I am terrible at turning. Oh, and as far as the bow diving is concerned, yes it is a diving boat which I think is why the GT came about to correct that problem. But the boat floats - I’ve had the entire bow underwater and it pops right back up. The first time I did it I had some momentary concern (read: I almost needed to change my underwear) but once I got used to it, it’s now no big deal (um, I mean the fact that the boat dives and comes up, not the underwear thing, HAHA).

Susan

@CD1 said:
$1500 asking price including…
…fiberglass Werner paddle and sprayskirt. I have seen only photos, but looks to be good condition and I woudl not buy until tested. This pearling does seem to be a concern, but I will be using in inland lakes. I own a pickup truck, and have front and rear cab bars on uprights (kayaks go over cab), but wondering if I can batton down the fiberglass 17 footer as I do with my platic yaks, or will this take extra care. How does anypone transport at 17 footer? The SS is the 1999 version of the GTS, but very similar. Thanks for your great input!

To much money for 1998. Look for a GTS solstice.

12 year old thread. I think @CD1 has probably made his decision by now.