cutting out seat

Great info
I wouldn’t have thought of windowing a seat as a possible option…great thread. The stock seat on my Pintail works for me but it’s a good thing to know when others have fitting problems.

Stop it already

You got me cracking up. This dialog brings to mind the old skits on Saturday night live with Jane Curtin and Gilda Radner (Rosanne Rosanna Danna) funny funny stuff!

----------------------

I’m not bashing polyethylene…

Posted by: bnystrom on Dec-29-08 11:28 AM (EST)

jane…
you ignorant slut.

from old snl…try getting that by a censor.

although the “shwetty balls” skit made it past so who knows? as long as there are no wardrobe malfunctions they need to protect us from, maybe that’s fair game.

It’s not so much lateral flex…
…as that is held in check by the struts extending from the seat pan to the chine area. The problem is fore-aft flex that occurs when shifting your weight or straightening your legs and putting pressure on the front of the seat. Eventually, it could cause the cheek plates to crack. This is a common problem in NDK boats, but I haven’t seen it much in stock VCPs. However, with the windowed cheek plates, it could be an issue. It’s possible that adding just a few strips of glass along the front edge of the cheek plates would be enough to prevent problems.

I’ll see
The cut-out seat sides has about 1.5" of glass remaining at the front and back of the cut-outs. I’d think it would act sort of like a truss, where I haven’t changed the dimensions of the member, just taken out some of the center material. Like drilling a hole in a floor joist.

At any rate, I think it’s more likely that I will entirely cut it out eventually. I sort of liked the deeply sculpted seat pan, but the front lip is perhaps a little high for me. I want to do some rolling around and stuff before I make any more decisions. If I decide to keep the seat I’ll consider reinforcing it.

Removing material weakens it…

– Last Updated: Jan-01-09 12:29 PM EST –

...as it does in any structure. Whether it will cause a problem or not is anyone's guess. If it does, you may find yourself removing it whether you want to or not, or more precisely it may remove itself. ;-)