Day Time Visability

Channel crossing in really thick fog

– Last Updated: Jul-06-04 11:56 AM EST –

with no ferrys about. I'd be on the vhf and the horn and a bit afraid as well. That's when the ecohorn would really shine. Could hold paddle and press it with one finger. At once per minute it would barely break stroke. With the ferry about I'd pray I'd been wise enough to get the schedule written on my chart case.

But I agree with you on this. if I can see the boat I've got different things to think about.

Storm
So the Storm was the best of the whistles?

yes, no comparison to any whistle
that I have seen or that we tested, (fox 40 flat whistles etc etc). It is in a different category of sound.

The thing is big; so there is that price to pay. $ difference is not that significant. (I outfit only three vests). Plus I cannot hit a flat whistle every time. Even I can hit a storm every time; no question.

Yellow paddle blades
One will see the “flash” of yellow paddle blades on the water long before anything else including your yellow boat. White clothing blends in with reflective light and white caps, not the best to wear.

I’ve Not Had A Run-In
with a power boater yet. But I don’t paddle lakes much (though I practice there). In the ocean, I sit so low in the water in my skin on frame, I almost disappear from sight. I do wear a yellow pfd and I have yellow reflective tape on the ends of GP. It kills the “traditional” look but when I wave it, it seems to get noticed as I have had several powerboaters change course when I start waving a bit.

sing

tradition
sing - i recall some ol’ sage saying that having a non-traditional GP beats having a traditional funeral any day !!

Being Seen, I like orange
I swear by a paddle with orange blades, they look like someone is juggling flaming torches when in use and raised up with one end you can swing the paddle back and forth 180 degrees and with more height to get the boaters attention.

Brian

Rule of thumb
A good rule of thumb to avoid conflicts with larger craft is whenever possible cross at channel markers, this way you know the distance you will need to travel to clear the channel, you for the most part know the intended course of largers vessels coming and going each way and you will have a better idea if its safe or not to cross or be floundering in certain areas. Open water is obviously entirely different,you must assume they don’t see you or worse yet not even looking or obstructed view because they have the bow in the sky plowing. Determine their direction and ease your self out of the way.

Brian