exactly
http://www.bartleby.com/61/45/U0074500.html

I wasn’t aware we haven’t?
I don’t like PFD’s either :slight_smile:

maybe thinking of this?
the paddle float/seat:

http://www.brittlestardesigns.com/images/SeaKayaker_62.pdf

Clear as reasonable decks
I think it is best to have as little as possible on deck.

Most times these days my foredeck has a chart and spare paddle while the aft deck carries nothing beyond its rigging.

Canoe Safety Test, rough water rescues,and surfing all demonstrate the folly of gear on decks.

From the man who dislikes English
It seems that Bohemia has ongoing issues with how folk speak and write.

Last month it was the Brits, this month it’s Celia. Next month?

SYNTEX… SYNTEX???
At first mine eyes I could not believe

There CWDH left a malaprop so wrong to aggrieve

Even the most relaxed, cabin-fevered of us

Marooned by winter in mostly slush

Unfit for paddling,

Nay, even waddling!

I thought Hey, what’s with

Mr. Illuminates the Darkness, who writes with much pith

To miss

Such a word as that?

Drat!

Then, thought I, Methinks I smell a rat

CDWH could NEVER be as far off as THAT

From the mot tres bon

Upon which he could continue to hone

Such reknown

Literary expression.

No beatin’ or messin’

About the bush (or Bush, I would as well surmise)

For this raconteur so often wise

Who posits amusing whys

For all us paddler guys

And gals to ponder.

I wonder

If ‘syntex’ was penned on porpoise

A real whale of a snapper

Or if it smelt

As, heartfelt

As it may have been typed

Was just a regular good ole goof, overly hyped

By those of us who caught it and even care

Enough to note

What he done did misspoke.

Personally, first thing I thought was that it was some sorta fancy-dan high explosive material… LOL!

SYNTEX?

Syntex (per a quick 1-2-3 perusal grace a la Google):

1. Operational Risk Management, Environmental, Safety Software – EHS Regulatory Compliance for enterprise operational, environmental, safety risk;

2. Syntex Rubber Corporation designs and manufactures standard and custom molded and stamped rubber OEM components;

3. Syntex Industries, manufacturer of tarp products, such as water tanks, boat lift canopies, roll tarps, showerbags, recycling bin covers and much more;

4. Syntex Corporation is engaged in the research, development, manufacture and sale of pharmaceutical products and diagnostic assay systems;

5. SyNTeX is a LaTeX preprocessor that draws syntactic trees using the LaTeX picture environment. The preprocessor reads the comments in a LaTeX file and draws the tree based on commands that it finds in the comments;

And finally -but only for the purposes of this particular response to this particular entry on this particular thread (and should not be construed to equate to “exhaustively”)

6. Despite the wide use of visual and haptic texture in industrial design, architecture and art to convey information (e.g. about the atmosphere or safety of buildings, or the strength, quality, or intended users of objects), there is virtually no systematic research on the emotional qualities and expectations associated with specific textures.

SYNTEX aims at providing methods and a theory to objectively measure, model and predict such psychological effects. SYNTEX will have substantial impact on product design in its most general sense. Designers of buildings (architects), consumer products, interfaces of computer programs, internet pages, and games, will profit from the ability to use texture in a predictable way to communicate additional information and achieve intended psychological effects.

SYNTEX thus aims at the development of

• a new measurement method to ‘calculate’ the degree to which certain feelings or emotions are associated with a particular texture in an individual subject.
    • a new investigative method for the modeling of human interpretation of visual and haptic textures.
    • a method to synthesize artificial textures specified to evoke certain feelings and emotions.

The whole project is arranged around three cycles of psychological and neurophysiological experiments combined with a concurrent development of a computational model. The modeling will employ a new approach that is driven by mathematics. Starting from a model based on existing knowledge (on texture perception) we will identify the major mathematical gaps (rather than the gaps in psychological understanding) and design experiments to fill these gaps. Fuzzy logic will be incorporated to account for the inherent fuzziness of emotions.

The consortium consists of a well-balanced group with backgrounds in psychology, neurophysiology, mathematics, machine vision and product design, thus combining the interdisciplinary knowledge required to achieve the goals of SYNTEX.

Uh, by chance, did y’all mean syntax?

Consider, CWDW, the infinite (at least for one such as you) the infinite possibilities of something that might be interpreted as ‘sin tax’…

Ah, but 'tis (for most -not I, I say with much glee) the winter doldrums, and things like this are bound to happen.

I sure hope I didn’t maek no dum miss take…

So bear up, chickadees, roll with the punches and paunches, and wait for the spring thaw, when all is well, and y’all kin

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

drinking water
I also vote for clean decks.

My drinking system;

http://home.planet.nl/~freekkno/drink.JPG

The camelbak is on the floor behind my seat. Low point of gravity and my water keeps cool.

So no lose waterbotles on deck for me.

I’m with Freek on this one:

– Last Updated: Jan-27-08 6:20 AM EST –

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2128803590084634827JLzsbH

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2087116960084634827qMzTJo

and as far as deck bags go consider adding a hatch and solid knee tube in front of the cockpit:

Yeah, but I’m a little freaked …
… about drilling a hole in my new kayak. That said, it’s not a very big hole. And, being a relatively active hiker I have several hydration bladders lying around that don’t always get used. In fact, one of them is a Camelbak “Unbottle” which is a 70 oz. insulated bladder that has attachment points around the perimeter.

Deck bag or not?
Deck bags lead you to put lots of stuff on your deck. This can make a big difference if you are paddling in a strong wind. I carry nothing on my deck but a flare gun in a neoperene holster. (Protection from wave runners and drunken boaters. I paddle a lot on Lk St. Clair).

If you have spare clothing, etc that you may need, put it in your buddys hatch. (He puts his in your hatch.) When you need something, its easy to get to your stuff. Safety equipment, pump, float, etc, go inside your boat.

[OT]Are You Sure About Grammar?
Consider the possibility that many, if not most, of the commonly assumed “rules” of grammar which so many like to trot out as the way English is supposed to be written have nothing whatsoever to do with the English language. Instead, they are derived from a irrational effort in the 18th Century, primarily, to force the grammar of Latin upon the English language. As to a person’s understanding the English language, here are a few questions which tell the tale quite well. First, how to you pronounce the word “Ye” often seen on the signs of “quaint” shops and why. Second, why are there two “wh” sounds. Is it incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition? Finallly, it the southern term “Y’all” a proper use of the English language.

Oh, I think deck bags are a bad idea too.

Tale of two grammars?
One of my grammars spoke well, the other didn’t. Both have been dead for many years.

Drilling a hole isn’t necessary
If you put the bladder behind the seat, just lead the drinking tube up through the skirt.

I tend forget to remove it prior to getting out of the kayak, so I cut the tube near the bladder, and spliced it together with a short connector. (I think I bought it at Home Depot in the area where they sell odd plumbing fittings) Similar connectors are sold for aquarium tubing.

deck bag

– Last Updated: Jan-28-08 2:47 PM EST –

I have a deck bag i use on my kayak...very handy thing to have to store any of the following: water, nutrition bars , compass, air horn, xtra hat, binoculars, camera, sunscreen, paddling gloves. bandaids, bug juice, fishing lures, bait,cell phone in watertite bag, a couple of cans of beer! pencil & paper to write down phone # of that cute girl/handsome guy u met @ the launch or on the water, to name a few things.
Also , since most bags come with external fasteners of some type, u can attach small things there. or use to hold a fishing pole in the bungee cord.
My only question is how a deck bag affects rolling, i would think it doesn't hurt much there. theres not enuf weight to be concerned, deck bags aren't that big and heavy.

Deck bag
I usually have my camera with me while paddling. I tried a pelican case, but found it unwieldy in a kayak. Found a waterproof deck bag. Works great, I can fit my camera with the longest lens I have into it fine. If the wind or conditions pick up, I can easily take it off the deck and put it in the cockpit.

Here’s a photo of the bag on my deck…

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2530602960041263145avcczW

Andy

I reckon
there’s times for deck bags and times not. Mostly not. It’s a trade off just like everything else. A deck bag shouldn’t hurt rolling, but it could. Deck bags, avataqs, helmets, paddlefloats, anything on deck that can act as an unexpected drogue needs to be managed. It could stop a roll in calm water or bring mayhem in surf.

Tight and shipshape. Nothing to get ripped off and flop around is the best way. Most stuff I need goes either in my dayhatch or in my underdeck bungies. Having it on the front deck is simply not that big of a help to warrant putting up with a bag raising the front of the cockpit, IMO. Now, if I were doing a really long trip I might think differently.

that’s right
down with fakiness