Decked Oddity

@DrowningDave said:

__Bridges can be works of art and engineering marvels. This one by my home was made in 1820. The water underneath is not kayakable unless you’re Stewart Little but it’s still impressive.

I find stone bridges to be exquisite and always wonder about their history and those who built them. Your photo is a good example.

Also marvel at CWDH’s poetry.

@string said:
I love them too but crossing the Wando River bridge at Charleston with a boat on a windy day gets my pulse elevated.I don’t think it’s a suspension bridge like the Cooper River but it is very tall .

My sister in law would not cross the OLD Cooper river bridge with out stopping and putting on a life jacket first.

Ah yes the old Cooper River bridge.

Ah yes, my mother wouldn’t drive across it. I had nightmares of the car breaking down at the peak. There was NO room outside the lanes.

Here’s the full thread for those who missed the sarcasm in my response:

Looks like it was designed by an engineer. Practical yet ugly.
Never heard that one before, but definitely filing it away for future use. So true.
Yeah, like that Brooklyn Bridge, another functional but hideous item designed by an engineer…

Ugly engineering is usually the result of a cheap client, not the engineer, i.e. pretty costs extra.

For the record, I’m an engineer, pretty bridges are awesome, and awesome bridges are sometimes pretty…

I’ve worked side by side with broadcasting engineers for decades and we never let then design anything. Those of us who actually used he equipment designed it and they made it work. That’s not to say certain engineering fields don’t have good designers because they do, just not on my field.

@DrowningDave said:

__Bridges can be works of art and engineering marvels. This one by my home was made in 1820. The water underneath is not kayakable unless you’re Stewart Little but it’s still impressive. U

I love woods with creeks. We are blessed to be close to thousands of acres like that.

@thebob.com said:
Bet it would be fun to try and pump water out of the compartment if it leaked, and you’re about 2 miles from shore.

BOB

Plus there’s no apparent floatation. It looks to be a cross between a surf kayak, surf ski and a cooler. I’ll give credit for gelcoating the inside of the storage compartment (a power boat thing).

The engineer’s motto:

If it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough added features.

@DrowningDave said:
I’ve worked side by side with broadcasting engineers for decades and we never let then design anything. Those of us who actually used he equipment designed it and they made it work. That’s not to say certain engineering fields don’t have good designers because they do, just not on my field.

OK, gotcha - offhand, that sounds more like the difference between engineering design and product design - definitely different areas of expertise. There’s a no reason to expect an EE (who deals with voodoo, er, electrons) to be any good at elegant product design.