Dedicated solo canoe or tandem?

Tandems, over 16’6" are, imho…too

– Last Updated: May-22-16 2:35 AM EST –

much work to enjoy onesself while paddling(solo), especially if any wind comes up...
$.01

Just want to agree…
with those who say to get a dedicated solo. The difference between paddling a decent solo canoe and paddling ANY tandem canoe by yourself is like night and day. I own two Penobscot 16s and and have paddled them solo a number of times, but there’s no way, given a choice, that I’d even think about paddling the Penobscot solo rather than one of my solo canoes. The difference is that a tandem canoe, even one like the Penobscot, is simply not nearly as responsive as a solo canoe. In other words, it takes two or three paddle strokes to move a tandem canoe the way one stroke moves a solo. Solos are simply more fun to paddle.

You don’t say…

– Last Updated: May-22-16 10:26 AM EST –

...how much you will be going solo vs. tandem. If you are always going solo, then there is no reason to go with with a tandem other than your weight.

I'm about your size and went to a demo day of Swift canoes. Their rep, seeing a 240 lb guy who mentioned camping with the boat, kept trying to steer me to their tandem Prospector, but I was set on a solo boat.

I demoed the Swift Osprey, a really nice boat but at 240 lbs I was already nearing the end of its capacity without gear.I tried the Sheerwater, which was really nice but I liked the way the Keewaydin 15 handled too.

In the end I wanted to drive away with a new boat and they had the Keewaydin 15 in stock and the Sheerwater would have been a special order with weeks before delivery (and another 3 hr RT drive or vague promises of perhaps being able to deliver it to me), so I opted for the Keewaydin. Nice boat, I love it, but I think with camping in mind the Sheerwater would have been the better choice in the end for a guy of my size.

Another to consider is the Wenonah Solo Plus. It will handle plenty of weight.

Remember that at 240 lbs, especially with camping in mind, the majority of solo boats are not appropriate for you.

Paddle some canoes throughout the spring
and summer, weekly, then revisit…it’ll all make sense.

240 isn’t that big…
Don’t know that I agree that 240 is too big for the majority of solo boats. I’m 220 (actually probably closer to 225, but like most people I round down) and do fine in a 14 foot boat. Load it up with gear and it is still fine. I have to admit that it is not the best boat for windy lakes when loaded with gear, but I don’t paddle windy lakes with gear very often. I do mostly day trips on rivers with an occasional camping trip thrown in, and it is great for that. It can be tough to do, but I definitely agree with Big Spenser - try to paddle different boats in different conditions and see what feels comfortable for you.

Wenonah Wilderness
Thanks again for all the input. I pulled the trigger on a Wenonah Wilderness today. Picked up a new 2016 “blemished” model, and took it out on a small lake for a couple of hours on the way home. Really enjoyed paddling it!

Excellent choice
I think you made a great decision on the Wilderness by Wenonah. I owned a Vagabond which is similar and loved it but the Wilderness is more capable and better paddling.

Ah, I forgot that boat as well…not a
bad choice flyingbison.