Deep water recoveries

DVD Instructional Material
The University of Sea Kayaking has a two disk set available. Our family has been practicing some of the assisted rescue techniques. Much faster than a paddle float recovery. Their link is www.useakayk.org.

Yes, clamping
Don’t need a death grip, but make sure your hold is firm. This probably is difficult for people with very small hands. And I am wondering if it will be doable with my new (wood) boat, which has a different type of lip. I hope so.

Yes if you have a partner

– Last Updated: Apr-13-04 11:55 AM EST –

capable of assisting you you should not choose a paddle float rescue (except for practice). This is a basic concept for all paddlers. Faster safer drier more efficient.

AND…
if the partner(s) is not far away or capsized also.

yes you and many of our
New england crew are going down that route. Please don’t make my explorer even heavier! :wink:

No!! No!!! I can’t lift it alone :slight_smile:

Seriously, after that last surf escapade I should consider it. Paddling a cockpit full of water in breaking stuff is too much for me.

the link greyak
provided is really good.

The paddle float re-enter and roll is the best way to get back in your kayak without knowing how to roll.

IMHO.

Even if they are capszed and close
The all in rescue, especially the variant where the first paddler uses the bow of the second boat to roll up, and then does a T rescue on the second paddlers boat, and then they work to clear the first paddlers boat is still fast for those who have practiced it. One engaged, you should be able to have a paddler secure in a dry boat stabilizing the pumping paddler within 1.5 minutes, and that is a loose standard. A minute is a better one.

Also in the post above I do specify a partner who can assist. A really far away partner is no help. (another good reason to choose partners appropriately)

One can be a martial artist all one’s life and never have to absolutely depend on the skills one cultivates. A paddler who wants to advance is always practicing to improve the skills we depend on.

Well…
I was really just curious about how you folks do a SOLO recovery.

I agree that assisted recoveries are quicker.

I agree that paddle float re-enter & roll is faster.

I taught myself a solo recovery (thanks to USK videos!) because I often paddle solo, so I consider it to be an absolutely essential skill. After I teach my friend a paddle float recovery, we will (of course) be working on others. Thanks to all for your input!

Jim

I concur…
a paddle float re-entry and roll is my second line of defense after my Eskimo roll and I happen to have SRS straps installed on my boat. The often taught paddle float re-entry is pretty difficult to pull off in wind and/or waves. Yeah, I can do it, but only in idea conditions and if I unload some of the safety gear from the pockets of my PFD. The paddle float re-entry and roll is MUCH faster and in my mind simpler. According to John Lull’s “Sea Kayaking and Rescue” book the simplest rescues are the best.

Just my two cents.

Safe paddling,

Joe

Link: float assisted re-entry’n roll
http://www.touringkayaks.com/guided_tours/float_roll.htm

Some find it easier than a conventional paddle float re-entry.

Thanks water walker!!
That the link!

And Ditto

This has been a great thread!
Lots of good info!

Not too heavy
Actually there is a weighted plate in the bottom of the pump that can be removed. I believe it’s there to sink the pump to the bottom of a bilge. I took mine out and saved a pound or two.

Thanks No quarter.
It might be time!

Not thrilled with the "All In Rescue"
During a guiding class from Wayne Horodowich of the University of Sea Kayaking, he suggested that instead of trying to do an “all in rescue”, everybody should immediately start doing any type of solo re-entry they are capable of, ie. re-enter & roll, paddlefloat roll, traditional paddlefloat, etc. Then the first person back in the boat does an assisted rescue with the next paddler and then both help the next ones, etc.

It’s a lot faster than trying to swim the boats together in rough water and gets everybody out of the water faster.

Agree with Waterdoc and Wayne H
How would you like to be the last recoveree in a large group in cold water ? Better to start your own self-recovery and those who complete theirs quickly can assist others.

I like how USK makes you think about tactics as well as basic skills. Every situation is different!

Jim

Slings breed bad habits
Using a sling requires you to come vertically out of the water. This is exactly the WRONG technique for doing re-entries and it puts much more stress on the paddle. As Peter has stated, you want to be as horizontal as possible so that you’re pulling yourself more across the boat than over it. Think of it as pulling the boat under your body.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the slings until you have mastered proper technique. Then, if you feel you need slings as a backup, reinstall them. If you use these “crutches” all the time, you’ll be totally dependent on them and will never learn proper technique.

That depends

– Last Updated: Apr-14-04 3:05 PM EST –

If the boats are widely separated, I agree that's the fastest way to do things. If the boats are close together, Peter's suggestion of a bow assisted rescue that goes directly into a T-rescue of the second boat is very fast.

Obviously, the size of the group and the skill of the paddlers makes a huge difference. Unless everyone has had similar training and understands the protocol, it can be pretty confusing and slow to coordinate an all-in rescue.

You just pair up!

– Last Updated: Apr-14-04 9:35 PM EST –

So nobody should be waiting long. All should be back in their boats within 1.5 minutes at worst, half the boats should be dry. Have you practiced using the bow for the first paddler to roll up? It's fast, the you can just put it right on the coaming to get the first "dry" paddler up. Then you have a paddler in a dry boat who can stabilize the pumping out paddler who was first up. Try it! I beleive in moderate to conditions you would find it quite efficacious.

Obviously this method depends on boats capsizing close together. If you have a large odd number go over, well, you might want to have one do a paddle float rescue maybe.