Demo by sitting???

We’re not entirely new Pikabike
We paddled our tandem 30 or 40 times last year (put on at least 400 miles) and rented a few times while on vacation. We also demoed some solo yaks last summer.

We also bought very nice Werner fiberglass paddles which are excellent and light.

We studied the Brent Reitz forward stroke video and some sea kayaking video and our strokes are decent. I also read at least 7 books on kayaking technique because my schedule did not permit me to attend classes (although we would like to in the future).

We have a general idea what we want but were debating about being impulsive and picking out comfortable models at Canoecopia or a dealer that

were well-reviewed on this site before the ice thaws.

Thank you for your comments.

Pikabike was right on the money
There is a world of difference between paddling a divorce boat and paddling a single.

Just because a boat feels comfortable while you are sitting in it doesn’t mean it will be comfortable for you to paddle.

For example, coming from a tandem, you probably had a great deal of primary stability. Would you be comfortable in a boat that has very little primary stability.

At this point in my paddling, I feel most comfortable in British style boats that have very little primary stability. A boat with a lot would not perform in the conditions I like to paddle.

We haven’t even begun to talk about some of the more hotly debated topics like rudder, skeg, or none.

It really is best if you can wait until the water is liquid again and demo some. You’ll make a choice that you will be much happier with.

Also, remember that most serious paddlers will change boats and paddles a lot.

For example, I have 7 paddles and my wife has two. I still haven’t found the perfect paddle for me, but I’m getting pretty close.

Good luck and enjoy whatever boats you do finally get. One thing to consider is getting your wife a slightly faster boat than yours. This way it will be easier for her to keep up with you if you are a lot stronger.

You guys are great
I really appreciate all of the input and I can sincerely say that I’ve learned something from each of your posts. Someone even e-mailed me with great comments- I tried to reply but my response was bounced back twice (anyway-whoever you are, it was a great story and good advice).

Don’t know what we’ll end up doing. If it’s love at first sight, we’ll probably be reckless and impulsive. If not, we’ll try to be patient and certain.

Thanks,

Bruce

my thoughts on this…
The choice gets less risky the more confident you are in your abilities and dependant on the initial investment. My personal opinion is that any boat that you are purchasing new should be demoed on the water as the second you take it home you will lose a large percentage of the boats resale value. However, if you get a great deal on a used boat, and you know the characteristics of the boat, I don’t think there’s too much risk in buying it just after sitting in it. Odds are that you are going to like the boat (given you have the skills for the boat and did your homework before hand) but if not, you can easily sell the boat for the same price that you bought it for. For my first boat that I bought new, I demoed it on the water and made my decision based on that. However for my river runner whitewater boat, I merely sat in it before purchasing it used. Finally with my playboat, I bought the boat without ever even sitting in it. That final one wasn’t the optimal scenario, but I got such a good deal on it that there was very little risk involved as I understood what sort of boat I was getting and I knew that my body type would fit it perfectly. It turns out that I LOVE the playboat that I never tried out, I like my river runner that I sat in, and I’m selling my touring boat that I demoed. Interesting how things turn out. :slight_smile: I hope to at the very least sit in my next boat (or demo) but if not, I’m not going to stress over it too much. I know what I’m looking for and at certain price ranges, I’m willing to take calculated gambles. Good luck!