deploy skeg on flat water

wing stroke" waggle"
Agreed. The lateral wing stroke, by far the predominant technique in Olympic sprint, starts with a catch close to (or touching) the hull and then the paddle moves away from the hull. This does makes the bow yaw (and the tail “waggle”), even among the best paddlers.

Current thinking is that the benefits of the stroke (increased rotation/power and the paddle path moving into undisturbed water) more than make up for losses of the yaw introduced.

Competitive kayakers use a rudder so that all effort goes into making the kayak move forward, rather than correcting course.

My racing kayaks all have rudders, but on my touring kayaks, I’m not racing so I simply pull up the skeg completely if it’s not needed, and otherwise drop it down as little as possible until it does the job.

If you really want to increase your effective flatwater speed then touring paddlers should practice drafting (wash riding) one-another, and take turns at the lead.

Greg Stamer

Nordlow better without skeg
My experience on flat calm water is that deploying the skeg on the Nordkapp LV adds drag and causes a slight speed penalty when I attempt top speed. Going straight is a matter of paddling technique and even a polo kayak goes straight with the correct technique and concentration. (I use a short paddle and high angle.)

is drafting viewed negatively?
is it an issue in races?

drafting "rules"
Most races encourage drafting and some don’t, although there are non-spoken rules, even when it is allowed – such as share your time at the front and never, ever, bump the kayak or the paddle of the kayaker ahead of you. Breaking either “rule” more than once will have you quickly “excommunicated” from the group, or having cold water dumped in your lap.

That said, I was talking more about sea kayakers in a group who want to travel fast. For some inexplicable reason, even sea kayakers who are trying to set speed records as a team, rarely draft each other, which is a huge tactical mistake, IMO. Assuming that a group has the same level of fitness and capability, if the conditions allow, you can move faster as a group, drafting on the stern and side wakes, than you can travel alone.

Greg Stamer