Digital vs. Film

No online album. Still using dial-up so
the upload times try one’s patience. I’m going to scan more Dolores negatives today and may try posting some on Boatertalk gallery. Will let you know if I do. Of course they will not be high resolution; will have to cut them to fit space on that website.

Dust
Dust can be a problem with all SLRs. For many years I have been careful when changing lens.

I’m not an expert on the inner workings of a digital but I can tell you that ASA settings for film are based on the time it takes for the film to absorb light. The smaller the setting the longer it exposure time it takes. That’s because film has little sensors that absorb different light spectrums. The greater the number of sensors the greater the detail the film is able to reproduce. I suspect ASA settings with digital might not affect detail as much as they do with film. I’m getting good detail with mind.

With film I had to match my film to the light conditions and color of my subjects. With my digital I can make changes on the spot.

Where I lived in Idaho blue from the trees and grasses would often dominate. Now I live in Arizona and red is more dominate because of the rocky treeless cliffs. While yellow plays an equal role in both places.

Remember color photography is about working with combinations of three primary colors. Black and white is working with contrasts. An artistic photographer, most often, is better off specializing on one or the other.

Minolta has a little tradition going of
continuing the Weathermatic features in new mediums, and I DO expect the digital Weathermatic equivalent to be marketed here. So far, the waterproof digitals offered have not matched weather-resistant cameras for performance and features, but the preliminary information I saw indicated that Minolta wants to market a camera which can be used for all point-and-shoot situations, not just shallow dives and whitewater.

Googling back, the Minolta released in
Japan is the DG-5W, but descriptions say it has only 4 MP, not 5, which cools my interest. However it has a 28-70 (35 mm equiv) non-protruding lens which claims f2. I’ll just have to hope it appears eventually, maybe with 5 or 6 MP. Meanwhile my old Weathermatic is always at hand.

Well almost all of my photos
have been uploaded when I had dial-up and it was no problem. What I do is reduce the raw or HQ image to 800x600 pixels, change the file name and click “save as” and put the reduced image in the album and they go right through. This saves room for plenty of photos in a Free online album. Image quality is still very good for the internet and you still have the HQ original. If someone wants to use an image for a project,printing or a website I’m always willing to send them the high-res origional via email.

Yeah, I usually sample negatives at the
highest resolution consistent with my 19" monitor, and the resulting files do not have to be chopped much to go on the internet. The slow uploading could be a feature of the sites where I post. I have not tried any of the “free” sites.

re:sample
http://community.webshots.com/user/mcyak Look at the Take A Paddle albums and the Black Creek/Oak Orchard album.

Both were shot using the one shot 800spd fugi throwaway.

Caveat here. My sons girlfriend is the manager of one of WallyWorlds film processing outlets and all the film is developed free so the only thing that’s in digitals favor (in my case) is the time frame in getting photos on line/onto a CD.

ASA and ISO
ISO speed (f/k/a ASA speed) is kind of a strange concept on a digital camera. There is no film, so therefore no film speed. The ISO speed dial adjusts how the image processor in the camera sees the information that the digital sensor sends it. Because of this, you can have the same exposure at ISO200, f5.6 and 1/125 with either digital or film.

High ISO speeds are where you start seeing more differences with film and digital. Some of the ISO3200 black and white films (which I usually shoot at 1600 and develop accordingly) have a really nice grain - a lot of it, but it’s a cool look. Digital has no grain - it has digital noise from the processor amplifying the signal so much. It looks a little like grain, but not quite. There are programs (like Noise Ninja) to clean it up if needed.

A few cameras only go down to ISO200, but that’s not the end of the world. First off, there are few situations where a little more speed is a bad thing. If you do need a slower shutter speed you could use a Neutral Density filter.

And yes - a comparison of film and digital shouldn’t be about point and shoot digital cameras versus 35mm SLR cameras. Totally different world.

Agree with pro digital
However I have a couple of 35mm SLR’s that are more then 25 years old and still work fine. I have a funny feeling that my 6 month old Digital will most likley be obsoleted 3 or 4 times over in the same time frame.

I keep it old school

– Last Updated: Nov-28-05 10:33 AM EST –

Cannon AE-1, usually with 200-speed film for daylight outdoor shots. Sometimes use 64 ISO film for vistas with a tripod. Use digital for snapshots.

Both, but phasing out the film.
Have been using a Minolta SLR 35 mm camera for about 20 years and a Minolta Dimage 4 digital for the past few years and recently purchased a Canon Rebel XT (with some input from these boards, thank you all very much).

Take about 50-60 photos a week as part of my day-job. Now I will not have to trek to the store to drop off film and pick up finished pictures. I also invested in a photo printer (Canon).

I agree with the others that film will be going the way of the VCR.

DSLR and P & S

– Last Updated: Nov-29-05 9:28 AM EST –

My first SLR was a Pentax spotmatic back in the 70's. Went to Canon AE1, then A2E and finally a Canon digital 10D. I have about 6 lenses, flashs and a ton of accessories. Once I went digital, I never went back to film. I recently sold my A2E to someone that will use it. Last week I picked up a new Pentax Optio WP that is about the size of a large pack or gum. I worried too much about bringing along my DSLR while paddling and the WP is fine for fun shots. It will not compete with the utility of a DSLR but it will fit in a pfd pocket. All of us on p-net have a computer and a good DSLR costs less than a good film SLR a few years back. It only hurts once and I save a ton from film and processing.

You can always get a good dig slr
and then add a housing for it to keep it dry and ready to use.