Dinged a car with a kayak - suggestions?

Kudos

I sure wish the person who side-swiped
my car in the grocery store parking lot had your integrity. They just left.

I’m sorry you’re having to pay anything out of pocket, but a clear conscience is priceless.

won’t have to pay
My State Farm agent told me there would be no deductible on the claim so it won’t cost me anything. Since I’ve probably paid them over $30,000 in auto and homeowner premiums in the past 20 years (with no claims), it’s the least I should expect!

So do I
Last spring while I was at a pool session, someone damaged my truck.

It was obviously NOT caused by a vehicle hitting it, because there would also have been damage to the bumper itself rather than only the sheet metal.

Either someone with a sharp kayak end (like a wood kayak’s) punched it in, perhaps while “borrowing” the rear bumper as a resting point. OR someone stuck a tool in.

Either way, someone did something wrong and knows it. The main question is whether it was another kayaker or a car prowler.

seems inevitable
After a 35 year career of parking at construction sites and public lots I long ago gave up getting upset about superficial hit and run damage to my vehicles. I just ignore it other than sealing any paint scrapes against rust. i keep my cars a long time and consider them “transportation appliances” whose job is to transport me and my stuff where i want to go and protect me from the elements. Kind of like the same attitude I take towards my luggage. They need not look perfect. If and when I sell them, if they are low enough mileage that appearance would enhance the sell price I get all the body work done at once.

Not that it wouldn’t be a better world if people would step up and be honest about their negligence to save me an eventually expense. But, for me, it is not worth aggravating myself over the appearance of a cyclically replaceable appliance.

Naturally, if it was a lease, a car I planned to trade in or I had a job that mandated a pretty car, I would feel differently. Fortunately I don’t have the burden of those worries.

Not superficial

– Last Updated: Aug-27-16 11:25 AM EST –

The metal was sharply creased inward and of the paint was broken. Shop had to repair the old-fashioned way, repaint, and re-clearcoat.

I ate the deductible because there was no honest person coming forward. IIIRC, the bill itself was for about $1000.

The perp was probably a car prowler. The city in which this occurred had about a half-year run of higher than normal incidents of car prowls and break-ins. My damage happened in that time frame, and in the area being hit. The police caught some of the criminals later, and the prowls dropped back down.

this is what bothers me
Even door dings bother me. Because someone else decided that their convenience was more important to them than someone else’s possessions.

It is a bigger problem than that
Rephrase it to “Someone else decided that their convenience was more important than ANYTHING ELSE”. That sums up the New Millenium American Way.

Yet another incidence of a tourist letting two dogs run loose in residential neighborhood, accosting residents’ pets, barking a lot, going into people’s yards, and pooping conveniently outside of its host’s yard. Without the owner watching it, of course. How convenient. Followed later that same day by another dog choosing to use the exact same spot, this time with owner present and leashing, and probably DRAGGED to the spot by the dog. Cuz we all know how they keep using the stinky spot.

How about the person who rounded up about 15 fallen apples from their yard and piled them next to my yard so the overpopulated, aggressive deer will hang out away from their yard? How convenient. They could have walked literally three minutes more and tossed them into thick bushes down a hill to the beach. But no, that would mean having to take a few more steps. And perhaps it was someone who figured I would be “induced to volunteer helping” now that the deer bait was MY problem.

wow
That apple story is pretty bad. Neighbors.