Distress Signals New Priorities?

My signalling devices

– Last Updated: Nov-14-05 2:09 PM EST –

1. Float plan with return time. In the hands of a competant person who cares about you. I think this is by far the most important.

2. Whistle on PFD

3. Orange safety sausage on PFD

4. Strobe on PFD

Numbers 2 and 3 are all Texas requires, but I like a little more security, so on longer trips in the Gulf:

5. VHF radio

6. 3 handheld aerial flares

Along with a lollypop or pacifier?

Amen to that…
Bryan. My signal was picked up by the CG once in AK. We just wanted to let them know we were in a safe area to wait out a 3 day gale, and should any one call about us to tell them we were ok. Funny thing was we were closest to Ketchikan, but were talking to Juneau. They transferred us to the Ketchikan cutter, who also said they were listening to us.

On another note: you do not need GPS or other spendy equipment to communicate lat/long coordinates. Spend one hour on an evening before your trip and pencil in the lat/long coordinates on all points, coves, potential landings along your route. Should you have to communicate your position, or arrange a meeting someplace it makes matters simpler.

Augustus Dogmatycus

MMV

I’ve tried your harness Brian
and I love it. I made one addition. On my M88, I threaded a little key ring through the hand strap hole (it’s a bit tedious to do, but it’s possible), then I attached this ring to the ring on an NRS key ring carbiner. The 'biner clips to the shoulder strap as a backup in case the radio dislodges from the holder. I’ve hung upside down and thrashed around in my futile attempts to roll with the radio hanging from the 'biner strap and it works like a charm. The strap is just long enough to hold the radio to your mouth and you can just let go and have it dangle from your PFD.

Lou

What?
What is an Orange Safety Sausage? I thought Id heard about most everything safety equipment wise for boats, not that.

Mark

Juneau

– Last Updated: Nov-14-05 7:56 PM EST –

was able to hear ya cuz they're the ones who listen to the radio highsites, that includes at Ketch. The communications center for S.E. Alaska is located in the Federal Building in downtown Juneau.

You want to talk about long range comms, HF goes a long, long, long way.

ditto coordinates
seeing a friend handle a GPS in bright sunlight or rough conditions would make it a nightmare if you had to communicate coordinates while determining them AND in rough conditions.

Jimmy Dean
I think it is used by the water and sweat break guys and made by Jimmy Dean

orange safety sausage
is an inflatable tube 3-4 ft tall designed for divers , in case they are seperated from the boat for better visibility. available in yellow also, one lift bag company makes one that extends up 10 ft and has 45 lbs of lift. the smaller ones are easy to carry and greatly improve your chances of being seen . mine even has a strip of solas reflective tape on the top. about 20.00 at most dive shops. I keep one in my pocketed wieght belt along with a whistle ,reflective mirror ,and strobe.

These have light attachments too!
Thanks for the post. These are very useful! Especially if have it on your pfd if separated from your boat.

They even have a pocket for placing a strobe or cyalume stick light.

http://www.blueseaadventures.com/store/flags.htm

They’re great
In addition to the one on my paddling PDF, I have one in my BCU pocket for diving. I also stuff it in my pocket even for a short snorkel. You never know, a current could catch you, you could get a leg cramp, and in addition to waving people on the beach down, it gives you a little extra flotation.

I would add -
"Spend one hour on an evening before your trip and pencil in the lat/long coordinates on all points, coves, potential landings along your route. "

I would add that you should share a copy of that, along with an estimated return time, with someone who will be staying on shore. If your VHF breaks or you can’t raise anyone on it, and no one sees your flare, mirror, etc., then you know you’ve got someone on shore to alert CG, and they can tell them where to look, besides just saying “the ocean”. Narrowing the search area down like that will mean the difference between finding you alive and not finding you at all.

I also use a short (6") tether…
…from the radio to the shoulder strap, just in case.

ICOM M-88 VS Standard HX270
Besides $98.99 for the Standard vs $269.45 for the ICOM, what’s the difference. I know nothing about radios. Fill me in.

Suggest adding a signal mirror - Day Use
Naval Aviators carry a signal mirror. Far more efficient then any signal flare to attract a rescuer situated at long distant away during the day. Then again, how often are Kayakers out beyond 7 miles off the coast of beyond the horizion of land.

Mark

Check the specs…
…specifically the battery type and waterproofness rating. The M88 is the only compact VHF handheld that mil-spec rated. I have no direct experience with the HX-270, but with all the problems I’ve seen with the more expensive HX-460, I wouldn’t trust ANY Standard Horizon radio until I torture test it myself.