Do I Really Need a Throw Bag

Having a throw bag is one thing…

– Last Updated: May-04-14 6:59 PM EST –

Being able to throw it accurately is another, and throwing it to someone who knows how to hold on to it without getting wrapped up in it is another. If you are going to bring a throw bag, you and your group should practice using it. I’ve only tried to use a throw bag once in a real rescue situation. Unfortunately, my throw was bad and my buddy ended up taking a long swim.

Having said that, I almost always bring a throw bag. It’s great for pulling boats up and lowering them down steep banks at put-ins and take-outs. I have also used them to try (sometimes successfully) to pull boats off rocks. When camping it’s always nice to have another rope.

Bring the throw bag because it has lots of uses, but also practice using it for rescues. Throw bag practice is a great thing to do on hot summer days.

Best advice yet …
Like.

My thoughts about whether to carry a throw bag or not:

Do you have homeowners or renters insurance to cover loss of all your property in case of fire? Sure, the risk is low (of a fire or needing a river rescue in class I and II), but insurance is cheap.

Yes, I have used throw bags on class I and II whitewater to retrieve inexperienced kayakers who were paddling recreational kayaks. I have had to move them from one river bank to the opposite side to retrieve gear and get them back on their way again. They are often hanging on to a tree limb rather than swimming the rapid, so you can take a mulligan with the throw, but eckilson’s comment about practice throwing is spot on. Might even save somebody’s life someday …

The answer is no
You do not really need a throwbag- enjoy the river, sounds like a great place to paddle!

Only on pnet would my response be
regarded as taking guideboater personally. But he was lapsing into preaching a bit.

No one in the United States is expected to adhere to, or even acknowledge, every piece of precautionary advice one may receive.

Statistics only barely support pfd use, and hardly suffice to justify a “requirement” for throw ropes, much less defibrillators.

throw bag
Vic has it right. You do not need one until you really need it. Even flat rivers often have plenty of sweepers. Some rivers have drunks that need rescuing. I have used them successfully many times and never travel without one.

I paddle
in all seasons, so I have one, and it can’t help anyone in the garage, so I carry it. I wear seatbelts, I wear a bike and ski helmet. it is just a smart way to operate.

Nice video on throw bag rescues
from NRS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dxD-ttYAw

Since you need to be on shore to throw the bag, these rescues are usually set up in advance below a known hazard. I have seen throw ropes used to get people off rocks if they are stuck mid-stream, but the combination of drunks, ropes and strainers kind of scares me. That is not a place where a throw rope would be my first rescue strategy. I guess it depends on the situation.

Jim Coffey video
Thanks for the video link, Erik.

Jim Coffey is the man when it comes to swift water rescue techniques. He is continually developing new ideas and shaking up the older dogma. I have had the chance to participate in hands-on swift water rescue training with him twice in the past year. Not only is he extremely knowledgeable, he is a super nice guy. Jim and his partner Martin Breu devoted an entire long day of their time at ALF this March teaching free rescue clinics on the Tellico River.

If anyone is considering swift water rescue training I would heartily recommend Jim Coffey if the opportunity presents itself.