Do I want this new neighbor?

I read
that this is common to many mammals (rodents and relatives) and a story somewhere (complete with photo) of a rabbit that had lost an upper tooth somehow. The corresponding lower tooth continued to grow until it penetrated the rabbit skull and killed the poor beast.

Just doesn’t sound like a good way to go.

Rick

pelt

noticed a second beaver story from Ohio…

here’s the scoop try the SC top report

https://www.google.com/#q=Activity+and+Habitat+Utilization+of+Beaver

and http://www.bing.com

Trees

– Last Updated: Dec-11-15 5:58 PM EST –

I agree, the fence will have to be loosened eventually but its a very slow process. Wrap the tree loosely and it will be several years before any attention is needed. By the time the fence starts to get tight the Beavers will probably be long gone and it can be removed.

Sounds like rookie only has one or two trees to worry about so I would protect them or at least the one that is close to the water. Probably a prudent thing to do sence a Beaver has taken up residence right next door!

Beavers can fell a large tree in a single night and it only takes minutes for them to girdel a tree. Once that happens the tree is done!

Give the Beavers a break but keep your trees if you like them. Sounds like there is plenty of material available for the Beavers to use without doing any harm.

Rookie will probably feel differently about the Beavers if a favorite tree is cut so protecting the trees is really in the Beavers best interest.

John

We live on a river and within a mile
there are at lease 3 shoreline lodges. And yes, we have had them gnaw on our trees (maple). I had hubby put wire over the gnawed areas but not until I had used pruning spray on the areas and the trees are still growing. That was over 7 years ago. The only difficulty I had putting the spray on the bare areas was holding a very large piece of cardboard in one hand, to eliminate any from getting into the water, while spraying with the other. That worked quite well.

There is an area of woods upriver from our home and as you go along and look into the woods, it’s amazing how many trees they’ve destroyed over the years. Cute? But destructive.

I nearly had an encounter with one of the beavers one day as I heard/saw a very large splash while paddling. I thought someone had thrown a large rock in the water but when I realized it was a beaver, I slapped the blade of my paddle on the water (thought I’d have sport with it) and the ‘bugger’ turned and began to come toward me. Last time I do that. :slight_smile: They are not a shy animal.