Do kayaks benefit from sun protection when in use

I’ve never kept a boat long enough to worry about UV. AND i use marine wax.

Does Novus polish protect against UV light? I read their website and there is no mention of it so I’m assuming no.

doesn’t take long for sun to start damaging many things. Car paint is really amazing how it survives.

1 Like

And Sunbrella. That stuff is amazing!

2 Likes

If you can’t store you boat out of the sun, a cover made from Sunbrella should protect it well, and will likely outlast several plastic tarps.

1 Like

Yep, I have a Sunbrella cover for my “marina” kayak (a Dagger Stratos 12.5S). It’s patterned off of a Danuu cover that fit the boat really well but completely disintegrated after two years in the Florida sun. This one should last 10+ years easily, will probably need restitching after several years. My neighbor made this one for me.

I also have a polyester (not Sunbrella) fitted cover from Red Leaf Designs for my Tiderace that I used when it was stored outside (partially covered). Since the boat is now stored in a garage again I don’t use the cover any more but it was great for the couple of years that the kayak was outside as it was brand new at the time.

2 Likes

sunbrella on my boat since 2007 exposed 6 months a year still in great shape. Treat it twice a year.

1 Like