Do PFDs wear out from use and exposure, or just age?

I don’t think that Extrasport PFD is the Hi-Float model. The Hi-Float had flotation that carried over the shoulders. That looks like the regular version were the flotation ended just above the level of the top of the lash tab.

The Extrasport Hi-Float was available for a number of years as a Type V PFD with a quick release belt and was called the Swiftwater Rescue Ranger after Extrasport ceased production of the Type III Hi-Float, but the Rescue Ranger is now also out of production.

You could use them in a kayak or C-1 with a spray skirt because the design was such that the portion below the level of the waist belt could be folded upward. But it did add some bulk around the midsection of the torso.

I did notice that some of the newer Astral models can have an optional quick release belt added, which is a nice feature.

Yes, I remember the switch-over. Seems like long ago. But you can see similarities in construction between Astral and the old Lotus even though the models come and go. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Astral that looked badly made or designed, though some might be better than others for different purposes. My Lotus is good for hot weather and flat water, what I used to do more of.

As for spares for loaners and such… I discovered a livery here that sells PFDs for a dollar apiece at the end of the season. I added six to my collection one year. Mostly Sterns and some, I’m pretty sure, were forgotten on islands and recovered by the liveries. I let the horse collars be. I tried them out in shallow water after I got them - they work but, of course, aren’t great. But they float and for flat water, very occasional use, and for the price, I like 'em. Keeps everyone legal.

But these days I’m not the only one with cheap loaners…

They have these at all the landings (as far as I know) on the river. But, as everyone’s been saying, this is exactly how not to store a PFD. Wet and plenty of UV. Still, it might save lives…

PJC: Looks like Extrasport still makes that long style, in a swiftwater rescue style vest. Spotted this on Ebay:

1 Like

Well, Thank you Willowleaf! I don’t do much online shopping so I don’t look on ebay much and hadn’t seen this. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I’ll just have to spend some money…

Opps, No. Checked the extrasport sizing. M is too small. But I’ll check ebay more often now. Maybe something will turn up. Thanks again.

Apparently that was called the Extrasport Swiftwater RANGER model. They replaced it with the Swiftwater FURY which is more similar to other modern vests, though still a Class V and longer. Found a few more Rangers in various searches but all seem to be smalls or mediums.

Yes, I did a bit of searching, too, with the same results. Need 48" chest size. Close but no cigar. Well, my Lotus still works… I’ll just keep my eyes open, maybe one will come up. Its more flotation than I really need, anyhow - but as long as movement isn’t unduly restricted, can a pfd really float too well?
Apparently life jackets are evolving to adapt to warm weather comfort. A climate change thing?

Wow, what are they making PFDs out of these days? Although I bought a PFD a few years back (with pockets!) my go to is an Extrasport that I bought in 1975. After 45 years, 1000’s of miles and storage in cold Michigan garages, this frayed spot is the only wear and tear.

Yes but after 45 years how much of the foam that provides flotation has broken down?

I mean, the most important quality of a PFD is how well it floats you, right?

You might consider testing it in a pool with some weights. 16lbs or so is what you want.

1 Like

Closed cell foams (which is what all foam flotation has to be or it would engorge with water) are pretty durable.

I’ve got backpacks I have had since the mid 1970’s with closed cell foam hip bands and shoulder straps that still seem to be structurally intact. I am still using two halves of a 1/2" thick Ensolite closed cell foam sleeping pad I bought in the late 1970’s as a cockpit liner for my SOF and an all round utility pad for day hikes and overnight trips. Besides padding my keister in the qajaq, these 24" square chunks have been used for everything from additional padding for sleeping, cushioning for sitting on rocks or snow, kneeling on to change a car tire, belay pads for rock climbing to being cinched around a fellow hiker’s broken leg as a temporary splint during a rescue evac. NO sign of deterioration after more than 40 years of regular use and abuse.

And as for shell fabrics, I just machine washed a well-loved summit sized backpack I have had since 1982 and a mini duffel kit bag from 1974, both made of lightweight Cordura nylon, and both look and feel like new.

Exposure to a lot of UV could degrade both urethane foams and nylon, but I don’t think actual age is much of a factor.

2 Likes

I have no way of measuring it precisely but after a recent post implying use-by dates on PFDs I compared pushing it under with my newer purchase. If anything it seemed to have more flotation. Both say 15 1/2 lbs. This isn’t kapok and as @willowleaf says, UV isn’t a factor. I also have a 45 year old ethafoam bulkhead on my Clearwater that is as solid as when I cut it.

There were posts here a while ago implying that fiberglass deteriorates too. Not seeing it, but I don’t store things in the sun. My patio deck on the other hand…

I agree, it all sounds fine. I just think you can’t be too careful with equipment that your life might depend on.

I think the last 45 years have been pretty hard on my body as well as your your patio deck! :wink:

Float/swim in your jacket in your most extreme paddling environment (cold water, whitewater, long distance from shore). It is a test no one wants to fail.

I’ve been using a so-called youth PFD for most of the last ten years, because till recently not one adult PFD fit me well. Always either too thick a foam in front or back or too long; any of these hindered freedom of motion. Some made cowboy re-entry or rolling more difficult, too.

The youth PFD does float me in the water, and it was the least intrusive one I had worn. But the nylon had obviously faded despite always being stored in shed or garage. The sun did its thing during the 1500-2000 hours that PFD was exposed while I paddled.

I figured the stitching holding the straps and PFD together also must be degraded, so I recently retired it. Am keeping it as a spare only.

Besides, it is kind of nice to have a nonfaded, good-looking new PFD that allows me full range of motion. You might want to add that benefit to the list of reasons to replace a very old PFD.

They wear out from age and degradation of the float material, sun damage and mildew from being stored in the bilges of boats.