Do you Rec And Roll?

rolling a pungo…
Go to the archives of paddler magazine a recent issue had some very good instructions on re-entry alone and with a helper.

I would suggest being able to self rescue before heading into any tidal waters or cold temperature situations.

Be safe!

Priorities
First, get as much supplimental floatation secured in the bow as you can. Unless you like stowing something long like fishing rods in the bow, consider adding a front bulkhead. If you capsize without the added bouyancy in the bow, nothing you can do from deep water will allow you to reenter. The weight of your upper body out of the water will be enough to submarine the front, and you’ll find yourself standing near upright on the foot pegs trying to paddle. I know this from experience, practicing with my buds.

Now that being said, you’ve got maybe one shot after your first capsize. Come along side your boat, reach under and grab the far coaming with your weaker hand and the near coaming with your stronger. Simultaniously launch up with the strong hand and pull with your weaker hand to right the boat. Kicking with your feet to propell you upwards helps too. You should end up with only a few gallons of water in the boat this way. The slower you right the boat, the more water you’ll find inside, and of course, the more times you capsize, the more water you’ll have unless you can pump/bail it out without capsizing.

The Pungos were built with absolutely no intention of being able to “eskimo” roll. Learn to wet exit while keeping a hold on your paddle and coaming first, then learn the different reentries like the paddle float (near impossible without adding more deck rigging) and cowboy. If after this, you have a wild hair to roll your Pungo, repost or email me and I can give you some outfitting tips to give you a fighting chance. The others are correct though. Trying to learn to roll on a rec boat is like trying to learn to ride a bike using a unicycle first.

Jim

I found this
I found an article on this site about wet exits. I’m re posting it here in case I’m not the only Newbie that needs to know.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?77