DO YOU WARE GLOVES? DO YOU LOVE THEM?

Viking Nitri Dex
I used to wear Stearns boating gloves but didn’t like the seams. I just got a pair of Viking Nitri Dex gloves: http://www.deakin.com/shop/products/?p=4081

These cost—are you ready?—$4 at a hardware/fishing store. I believe they’re made for fishermen. Good points:

– They have incredible tack. They will noticeably improve the power of your stroke.

– Waterproof rubber on the bottom.

– Breathable quick-drying nylon on the top.

– Thick enough to provide protection, but thin enough to have very good dexterity. You don’t have to remove them to tie your yak to a tree or something like that.

– They don’t seem hot. If your hands get hot, dip the gloves in the water to cool off.

– Can’t beat that price!!

I got this idea after successfully using rubber and nylon gardening gloves from the dollar store. I’ve tried quite a few hand solutions, including padding on the paddle and gel biking gloves, and the Viking Nitri Dex gloves are the best so far. I give 'em a 10 out of 10 rating. I don’t like padding on the paddle because it doesn’t allow you to change your hand position quickly and it feels thick.

gloves
If you have to wear gloves might try looking at sailing gloves, usually fingerless. Sailors tend to not mind what gloves cost so they tend to be expensive also tend to be well made with flat seams.

Only time I wear them is when it’s cold.

Bill H.

look in your pharmacy for
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=303935&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku354980&id=prod354979#

They are called “energizing support gloves,” and I came across them when I was recovering from carpal tunnel surgery and no longer needed the braces.

I found these so comfortable that they replaced the paddling gloves I used to wear. I wear different gloves in the winter, but since I’m in Texas, these work most of the year. They are sold individually, so you have to buy two boxes to get a pair, but that’s still less than $20 for the pair.

That, or
pick up some moleskin from the local drugstore. We used to put it on our heels and on the balls of our feet back when we had to hump a gazillion miles in those stellar (cheap) boots the military used to make us wear… :slight_smile:

gloves
I use the hydro skin glove almost everytime I paddle, however when I don’t use gloves I use co-flex wrap on my paddle, does two things for me one give good grip two help in heat loss from the aluminum shaft paddles I sometime use.

Have also used fingerless bike gloves which work well and cheaper than the Hydro skins.

Barry

gloves
Cycling gloves work for me. A litle padding, open fingers,and UV protection for the wrists.

Also nice to cool them off by dragging them in the water no and then.

i like and have
i have used the yak grips since day one and love them. all of our paddles have them. doesn’t help with sun damage though. keep the sunscreen w/ you and keep reapplying.

Gloves
I use a pair of Warmers. Don’t know the model, sorry.

I have three pair and try to rotate them. the oldest pair is just starting to wear a hole in a few of the fingers. Wish I had picked up several pair from the start. the are no longer made the same, as is the case most of the time.

They are full finger and I don’t leave home without them.

i hate gloves…
I find that I lose too much hand dexterity when I’m not making contact with the paddle. In the winter I use pogies and in the summer nothing. I actually wish I could learn to use gloves since I’d like them for sun protection but until that point, my hands will always be unnaturally tan compared to the rest of my arms. :slight_smile:

Tight Gloves
I find that tighter is better. Blisters that I get come from skin moving back and forth in one small area and really tight gloves, or hiking boots for that matter, seem to spread the movement across a larger skin area making the pressure in any one spot much less. Of course any glove will also provide padding at the pressure point and will spread the force that way too.

But that’s just me and how i like them. Unfortunately, I can’t recommend a specific brand or style beyond that.

Dave

Another vote for NRS boater gloves
I don’t care for gloves either because my grip on the paddle never feels right. I have a lot of sun damage on the top of my hands, however, so I’m trying the women’s version of the NRS boater gloves (fingerless) this summer, since sunscreen there doesn’t seem to last very long. So far, I like the gloves very much, but it is too early for me to know how long they’ll last. They are light enough for a good grip, and are quite comfortable.

Not with gloves on
You can only type big letters with gloved fingers, duh.

I have been using Chota gloves…
…this year and they seem to be holding up quite well; better than I expected. Full fingers, with a leather type material (black over white) on the palms, and blue fabric on the backs; shiny black leather-like material on the sides of the fingers. Always get them wet, and they seem to suffer no ill effects from that as well. I wear them to prevent blisters and callases(sp?) and to protect from sun exposure. Would certianly buy another pair, especially at the price I got them for used!

DO YOU WARE GLOVES? DO YOU LOVE THEM?
I do. I do not.

Tough Skin
I looked it up in the book, the goop is called Tough Skin.

Thanks!!
Thank you very much for all your tips. I’ll let you know later my choice and review of my future gloves.

Thanks again!

Louis

I do not
only time I ever get a blister is if my hands get too wet. Maybe your hands are getting wet too much, damp skin blisters easier

The light fingerless gloves I’m using
are made by Deep Sea and I got them from REI. The back of the gloves is Spandex Nylon. The palm surface is a urethane synthetic leather.

love mine
I wear fingerless Chota’s, and I get them off of Ebay.

I’m not a kayaker but
I wear gloves canoeing to reduce friction and help pad against numbness.

I’ve had good luck with Thunderwear products and have worn a few pairs out. I’ve also had good luck with gloves made for bicycling with small pads on the palms.