Do you worry about your cam straps?

Cool, I’ll have to give it a try

Cool, I’ll have to give it a try

strapworks

– Last Updated: Jul-06-15 11:59 PM EST –

http://www.strapworks.com/category_s/691.htm

Lots of strapage options here.
Custom color, length, buckle, material.
I have been switching over to some polyester especially where I think I need some more abrasion resistance (or where my wife has to grab a strap to stay on the raft -- softer). I have been color coding a bit: same color for my raft perimeter line and frame tiedowns, for example; also yellow "painter lines" off the bow and stern of my cataraft for visibility and yellow 1' footers mid way on each side of the raft frame to clip on to and flip the raft back over if needed. Get creative. Have fun. Spend money. Of course rafters/catarafters use more straps than just getting a kayak on the roof.

Salamander Paddle Gear straps
Available with a thick pad under the buckle, color coded by length, and a range of lengths from 2 to 15 feet. I’ve used straps from NRS, Malone, and at least one other brand, but the ones from Salamander are the densest and most cleanly trimmed, with the ends heat-sealed to prevent fraying, as well as being easier to pass through the buckle. Reasonably priced, too.

try
placing roll under the front seat with the vice grips, screwdriver/torx and fuses. and manual…

the tape is in Wal electric

Cam Buckles Don’t Lock In Place
I prefer greater security than that. The lack of a locking mechanism means that cam straps can loosen. Just look at all the trouble people have to go through to care for them.

complete and utter nonsense
They certainly do lock in place. I think you’re ignorant of how the mechanism works. If you examine the cam buckle, you’ll find it has teeth on the inner edge that prevents loosening but allows tightening.

If you think “all the care” - keeping straps clean and not leaving them laying out in the sun - is a lot of work, I’m not sure that paddling is for you. Because there are other things that involve much more care.

which bridges?
Can you name one?

I don’t do any maintenance to my NRS
straps and they’re still fine after several years.

What extra security do you use?

yes, hikerkayaker, tell us how you
secure your boat in a Superior fashion.

They lock well enough

– Last Updated: Jul-07-15 11:40 AM EST –

I've pointed out in the past that some straps (one popular brand that I use) will slip a very small amount with the first really hard pull, but it's not enough to matter and is easily compensated for. During that first tiny bit of slippage, the gripping action of the cam only gets tighter, and the slippage stops.

For what it's worth, cam-lock buckles were used on seatbelts by the military for quite a long time, back in the days before convenience of use became the main concern in choosing a design. You can bet that the military tested them more than just a little.

Oh, and as far as longevity goes, I've never done anything to my buckles in the seven years I've had them, and there's been no change in their reliability. I mostly use rope, and I replace ropes more often than that.

I don’t worry much
I have used both ropes and cam straps to secure boats for car topping, more often the latter. I have had to retire a half dozen or more straps over the years, but never because the cam had broken, always because the strap material had become frayed.

I try not to abuse my straps, but they do not require or receive special care of any type.

I have heard of one incident in which a boat was destroyed as a result of a cam on a cam strap failing. This was related to me years ago. If I remember correctly, the metal pin that the cam pivoted on came out of the frame or broke, releasing the cam and strap.

I have always tied off the excess strap after running it through the cam, as has already been suggested.

ha ha you are funny
I havent done anything special and I’ve had some twenty years.

If I used them lots in salt water I would rinse them

The biggest problem I have seen is people using cam straps that are long, getting visiting when tying down boats and losing attention to what they are doing… Then they back over the loose end… That will ruin your day and your boat.

They hold well
Not levered-down tight, but well enough that merely tieing the end with two half-hitches gives it that final security.

If doing two half-hitches is too much extra work for you, slushpaddler is right: Maybe paddling isn’t your sport…too much gear such as headwear to fuss with. Running and walking only require good shoes. Sure hope you know the better version of the shoelace knot. It takes a tiny bit more effort but stays tied. You could go barefoot if tying laces is too much work for you…

cams jamb
carry the tool

lube you fool

or what ?

I’m guessing he has the velcro sneakers

not once in my entire life
has one of my cam straps jammed.

I don’t know what you and hikerkayaker are doing with yours to have such trouble with them, but I think “user error” is a safe assumption.

Salt Water Several Times a Week
and even NRS straps will jam. Rinse the buckle when done in fresh water, spray with WD-40 and they last longer. A pair usually lasts many years.

well that explains it!
I don’t get many chances to paddle salt water!

might’ve been the local “line”…
Sounds like it might’ve been the local “line”.