Docking it

Cubes probably are plastic - black around here so I make assumptions.

I have stood up in my kayak for a dock like that once or twice. Probably could not do it now except maybe in the Romany on a good day. Likely not the Vela.

Nice bateau though! There is a historic farm site along the Mohawk just a bit west of Schenectady on the Mohawk River where they have one or two of these. If you paddle that stretch after work in warmer weather you will often see one out on a row with everyone in period clothing, maybe four people at the oars.

The solar addition makes it a good bit easier.

The Mabee farm? With a short nature hike? That canal route is on my bucket list. Lots to see along the way, so it would be a multi-day many stops paddle.

Ah yes, here they are… not docked :slight_smile:

(Need to “View on Google Maps” then zoom in)

Yup, that is them. Maybe a slightly different hull shape than the one you pictured now that I look at it. But I believe still officially a bateau.

This eastern stretch of the canal is more interesting than the westernmost portion, because you are not paddling between concrete walls but instead between shorelines. If you can find the time, not too hard to find company along the way. Just note if you plan to also go thru to the Hudson, the big steps at Waterford take significant time to lock thru. You can stop and camp on Peebles Island the moment you are clear coming east, but you don’t want to start them late in the afternoon.

And feeling claustrophobic between concrete walls is what I’d want to avoid. And for those walls/docks that aren’t so high, well that’s what this topic is addressing.

I had considered exactly that at Waterford. Looks like a nice place to dock and stay for the day anyway. If I do end up paddling the area, I may reach out to you for further tips. Thx.