Does Oil Canning Stay forever

Does it really matter
Does oil canning really make the boat slower? If so how much slower?

I bought a used Dagger Blackwater 11.5. It has two dents on the bottom that won’t come out no matter what I do. does this really make the boat slower?

I’m putting out a pretty good wake at my normal slow rate of 3-3.5 mph. My top sprinting speed is 4.8 mph. I think this is pretty good for a short rec boat with 250 pounds of speed and romance in it.

What do you think? Maybe I’m losing 0.1 miles per hour top speed?

Probably not.
Here is the answer from BoaterTalk. It references WW boats but would seem to apply to plastic touring boats as well:

“The oil canning of a boat doesn’t severely affect the performance of the kayak. It simply shows that the kayak has been well used. When performing blunts, spins, and other tricks, most kayaks already have a bit of give in the hull, especially kayaks that are a season old. A repair job is not necessary unless you truly feel it affects your boating. I have witnessed various ‘surgeries’ performed on oil-canned boats. It involves taking out all previous outfitting and installing a strong bar, rod, even and old ski, along the hull of the boat and attaching it to the front and back of the cockpit rim with two vertical mounts. I would only recommend this if you have the right tools, and derive joy from customizing your boats as you run the risk of messing your kayak up and voiding the warranty. Hope this helps, Brendan www.trickywhu.com

y’know, I didn’t want to be the one…
…to bring this up, but a dent caused by a rack or other object pressed into the hull for a period of time is just that, a dent.

My definition of oil canning, which may not be the same as yours, is caused by a warped length of plastic (or other material) that develops a series of alternating dips & bulges along part or all of it’s length. Although the effect becomes more pronounced when the material is straightened, this condition is not necessarily created by steady pressure as a dent is.

I have seen brand new boats in showrooms that have “rippled” areas in the hull. I believe it is possible that this effect can be caused in the manufacturing process, such as if there is any delineation during cooling. In these cases, leaving the hull in the sun can actually accentuate the problem.

I have long seen the term “oil canning” applied to describe single dents, but did not want to “rock the boat” because we are all so opinionated. I’m only speaking up now because someone else already did & caused disagreement.

If you loved it
when you paddled it why would the shape of the boat you “loved” when you paddled it make you not want it? My Capella RM is pretty flat there too. I do not store it supported on the flatter sections of the hull (6’ spread on my truck rack and storage rack) so I do not think it is deformation. If you are using the boat correctly (sitting in it, paddling with a big grin on your face) then you will not see those ugly flat parts!

Solution… put your bottom in the boat and the boat’s bottom won’t bother you. If the bottom of your boat does bother you, give it a good paddling!

3hrTour

Wrong solution

– Last Updated: Sep-05-05 10:56 AM EST –

I find that Guinness applied internally does wonders for "butt dent". May not make the actual problem go away but after a while who cares. Guinness, the 18th century solution for 21st century problems!

Loved it…
You are absolutely right in that these flat spots are not an issue if you love the boat and it performs as it should. For me, however, it is kind of like driving a new car off the lot with a dent in it…why should I pay for someone else’s mistake? What this says to me is that the consumer it not important and should just lump it or leave it. If this is a design or manufacturing flaw, don’t you think it should be corrected? I think one loses confidence in the manufacturer in cases like these, and wonders what else is not as it should be? Are there other areas of concern that haven’t been noticed or haven’t surfaced? When quality suffers beacause someone is riding on their ‘name’ then this causes me some concern.

If it is characteristic of all the boats
what is to say that it is not a flaw at all? I have no reason to believe that my boat is defective. Have you seen one that is not “defective?”

I think we (believe me, I am guilty too!) are sometimes too obsessive about our boats and are prone to overanalyze things, especially as we begin this sport. As time goes on, I realize it is just as silly as worrying about the first scratch in the bed of a PU truck.

3hrTour

Thanks Guys
I’m far less concerned now. Thanks for you input.

ratchet tie downs,
are those the kind that lever/click to work? I’d get cam straps instead and ensure the method of attachment to the rack doesn’t require overtightening to secure the kayak. Although a kayak is like a load of lumber regarding the threat to others if not secured it’s not like a load of lumber where tightening to deformation is no big deal.