Don’t Use the Beach!

One dysfunctional board, with an Idaho State judge stepping in demonstrates good government. The State stepped in. What happens when the entire State is dysfunctional, not one wayward board? I agree, let’s talk boats.

Nearly 40 years ago Pennsylvania announced it would begin requiring paddle boaters to pay an annual “launch permit” fee, as they already mandated for power boaters. At the time, the local wilderness sports club (that I have belonged to for 50 years now) decided that they would join the protests against this regulation (we had been long active in legal access issues regarding waterways and rock climbing spots).

But the fee is only $10 per year (per boat, which, I admit, is more of a “burden” to fleet owners like moi) AND I strenuously pointed out to my fellow club members that it would be beneficial for us to have state permits on our kayaks and canoes to avoid conflicts at launch sites with power boaters, since it would prove we were also paying for access and were not “freeloaders” at what at that point the power boaters considered “their” ramps and docks. Some of the waters in SW PA are difficult to launch into without using the built infrastructure.

Fortunately, the regulation passed. And it has definitely helped to squelch confrontations with launchers of trailered power craft at the ramps where we need to share them. Most of the paddlers I encounter around here are considerate about not inconveniencing the trailer launchers and I have not witnessed confrontations since the launch permit blanket was enacted.

There was a period just after they made us paddlers pay for access where the state and local agencies tried to build separate launch ramps for us, but most of them were poorly designed and even dangerous. In one of our most popular urban river launch parks they placed the “canoe and kayak ramp” a several hundred feet from the parking area, down at the end of a steep muddy bank through brush that had poison ivy hanging over it and the “launch pad” was made of salvaged Belgian blocks that were so haphazardly placed that you could get a foot caught between them while trying to mount or dismount your craft. We eventually abandoned using it and went back to sharing the well maintained and convenient broad graded concrete ramp and floating dock right at the parking area. By now it has disappeared under the knotweed and good riddance. Another well-intentioned local “paddler access” site has a nice concrete ramp near to a small parking area, but you launch adjacent to a large stream outlet (which funnels urban stormwater) into the big river (Monongahela). So that area near the ramp is badly silted up with delta debris and usually full of snags and significant trash that boats hang up on. And the secluded parking area is a popular site for midnight trash dumpers. Every few months we have to have volunteer days to clear hundreds of old tires, car parts, appliances, piles of construction trash and even garbage bags with dead dogs in them out of the area.

And it does irk me that the annual permit mandate also applies to launching even on the dirt and gravel banks of unimproved waterways in the middle of nowhere IF the land is state property, and there are fines for doing so without the sticker. A few times companions and I were blocked by overzealous State Game agents (the “Fish Police”) from launching into streams in the middle of nowhere because we had an expired sticker or one boat in the group lacked one, even if the owner was from out of state! Some of our Game agents are swaggering little fascists with a bug up their respective butts about anyone out in the woods without an ATV and hunting rifle.

So our annual fees are not really leading to a lot of specific improvements for paddlers, which makes me a lot less tolerant of the Fish Police when they confront me any more. But I still want the permit system to stay in place so the non-paddlers don’t whine that we are not “entitled” to the public facilities they use.

1 Like

Ignorance, “petty dictatorship,” corruption, and selfishness. Boat launch areas are not immune to the same rotten behavior seen in politics, since it all boils down to PEOPLE.

One small example of kayaker behavior that any of us can speak up about, nicely:

I was paddling with a couple whom I had paddled with before a couple of times. The lake was uncrowded on this weekday, and the ramp had a full two lanes’ width. I carried my kayak down and put it on the dirt shoreline near the ramp, making sure to not be TOO close to it in case someone really botched their trailer backing. At that point, no powerboaters were in line to launch.

My companions put their 17’ sea kayaks ACROSS BOTH LANES. I stared at that and asked the guy why they did not put the kayaks next to each other, within one lane and parallel to the ramp. I pointed out the obvious, that they appeared to be deliberately blocking any other boater from launching.

The guy said that was what he wanted. Said it in a belligerant way. I already knew the guy could be kind of militant about “causes.” Well, to me, blocking the ramp served no cause other than to piss off other users and give kayakers a bad rep. He refused to move the boats. Took his and her time gathering gear and getting ready to actually start paddling.

That was when I decided I wanted nothing to do with doing anything with them involving shared resources. Actually, it left such a bad taste in my mouth I did not want to do anything with them at all.

Speak up when it makes sense to do so.

2 Likes

In the West, I have never run into a water cop or pay dude at a boat ramp. Power boaters can get agitated with loading and unloading canoes. For that reason I do the loading and unloading next to the boat ramp. Many put ins have no ramp and little parking. Sometimes we have portage everything quite distance to get to the water.

1 Like

We need to teach more kayakers/canoers to be as considerate at boat ramps as you are !! Common sense is often lacking when in a hurry to get on the water.

2 Likes

So is that fee just for Penn. residents? Bunch of years ago(maybe 13) I paddled the Allegheny with a group of guys, most from out of state(I’m in Ohio) and I remember when we were at the takeout site there was inspections and one guy was ticketed for that. I can’t remember where we put in, but we took out at Elminton(?). I want to say it was Warren, but I stealth camped behind the Blair clothing factory. None of the people post here anymore…

That annual permit fee in Pennsy gets applied to us out-of-state visitors as well. I run the Delaware a good deal and make it a point to avoid landing/camping on the Keystone State’s side of the river(much as I find it a very pretty state). Out of principal, I’d rather New York/New Jersey get my tourist dollars in campgrounds/restaurants, gasoline and the like; rather than pay the ten bucks to have an unwanted sticker on my boats. (Petty I know, but it’s the principal when sometimes one just wants to pull over stretch their legs and take a look around.)

If I remember, not all access areas are that permit required

And unless up on the latest of local regs, would I have to get fined to find out?

“The woods are filled with wardens.”
–Jack Kerouac

All this just to get away from stress and just mind my own business, get away from everybody and paddle a boat. Does somebody really depend on my $10 to allow me to launch my little boat. How important is the fne when they don’t have time to chase car jackers. I can a sand lot while some people get . . . Oh, it’s not worth crying about. So petty. So pointless. Such a simple pleasure. Its just a license plate for my kayak. When will a pilot be required for white water. Power to tax, power to destroy, power corrupts . . . Vote for me, I’ll collect water use fees from every kayaker. I’m done complaining. Im going back to sleep. Maybe I’ll go back to bike riding, they let you go 15 mph. Freedom isnt free.

I just realized something. I complained about fees charged at state parks. Someone told me that fee is to keep the riff raff out. It just hit me, and I had to laugh: I am the riff raff. It works. Now I’m happy again.

1 Like

@pikabike, i dont know why people want to be arrogant and rude. It just makes them look needy and unlikable. It’s a vicious cycle - the more selfish and abrasive they get, the fewer friends, and the more isolated and lonely they become. I’d be their friend, but apparently they don’t want one.

Maryland considered a permit for car top boats modeled on Pennsylvania’s requirements, but a further study determined that it would cost more to manage than they would collect.

Does PA require permits on SUPs as well?

1 Like

PA requires the permit for all unpowered boats that are used on Fish Commission lakes and facilities, State Parks and State Forests.

2 Likes

Good to see they put one on that vessel.

Those creatures should require a permit! For one thing, they’re quite dangerous and can deflate at any time! (Good thing that guy is wearing a PFD.:cold_sweat:) Why, I’ve seen them in the wild lurking on the banks of rivers, just waiting for the next hapless paddler to come along!

2 Likes

Sneaky devils.

State park near me (Lincoln Woods) has the same requirement - don’t launch at the beach, and don’t swim at the boat ramp. :frowning:

1 Like

Sloop Channel both sides of bridge. I’ll be out there looking tomorrow in my kayak not from the bridge I’m happy to say. :laughing:

I have even seen some from the backyard in Woodcleft Canal .

1 Like