Dont even touch the bottom with a oar!

You are coorect -
I have no clue what you are trying to say.

I guess I will let you all talk amongst yourselves and stay out of this one. It is clearly way over my head.

So, …

– Last Updated: Aug-18-14 11:50 PM EST –

... what you are telling me is that you didn't know that the rest of the world refers to "meandering" as the crooked path of low-gradient rivers, and the process by which the riverbed changes location over long periods of time? Seriously? I think you are joking, but whatever.

Was Told About This…

– Last Updated: Aug-19-14 10:48 AM EST –

....when we lived in CO for a short amount of time. That was one of a few factors in our decision not to stay and why we have no desire to return to that state. Things may not be perfect on our MO rivers, but I have ample opportunity to paddle without worries.

As for Bob and Vic's thoughts, I concur. I head to the local precinct every time it's open, but feel my vote means little anymore since I don't "Show them the money."

first, it’s a state law
The federal law permits passage of all navigable waterbodies.

Secondly, I’m not a defeatist and I’m old enough to remember what pogo said.

Federal law…

– Last Updated: Aug-19-14 2:42 PM EST –

Federal law permits passage.
State law does not permit touching river bottom.
Who wins, who loses; that's my concern.

I can't remember ever going canoeing when I did not, at some time, touch the river bottom. In Colorado I'd have broken state law thousands of times; I'd be a career criminal.

Obviously the people of Colorado are the defeatists; allowing such a bogus law to be passed. Either they did not vote, or purposefully shot themselves in the foot & voted yes, so they could be arrested if they touched a river bottom.

I'd bet 99% of Colorado residents are NOT riverway land owners.
What I suppose to be a miniscule percentage of riverway land owners(whose purpose the law serves)got what they wanted.

I'm sure it just worked out that way naturally without any manipulation on the part of the lawyers, politicians, or the super rich. NOT!

Much the same way as the outcome of the Sand Creek Massacre in Colorado, the Mountain Meadows Massacre in Utah, and the Johnson County War in Wyoming worked out "naturally". Nothing to do with power or control.........

Show me the money!

BOB

Persuasive
Many times corporations and the wealthy are very good at persuading the lower echelons to take up their cause by convincing them what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, and perhaps sometimes it is. The latest example I can think of was the recent 2% debacle when tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans were due to expire. The most vehement arguments I heard for letting the tax cuts stay was from middle income people who would be unaffected by letting the taxes revert back to “normal” levels. Somehow the wealthy were once again able to convince the lower classes to fight their wars for them.

I once heard a comparison about the way Americans and British view wealthy people. In general Americans are more sympathetic to the wealthy because, while the chances of a lower class child becoming filthy rich are about the same in both countries, Americans are more optimistic that it will happen to them. So while they’re poor today they may be rich tomorrow and want those benefits in place when they get there.

Alan

now I’d agree with that
…and I see one person here voted with their feet and no longer pays taxes in the State of CO.

just go

– Last Updated: Aug-19-14 6:15 PM EST –

I say just go and don't worry about being arrested because your paddle touched the bottom of the river. Do police really have time to chase that kind of nonsense?

"The sign had two sides. One side said STAY OUT. The other side didn't say anything and that is the side for me!"

Coming from the side of a landowner
on a river, I can understand ‘some’ of the reasons for not wanting folks on specific bodies of water.

Many “want to be” fishing people and recreational boaters, tend to dump their trash in the river or when something goes overboard just leave it there. At times these same slobs live on the same waterway. Some will become intoxicated, others not, but their language is LOUD, and/or profane (as if they have a limited knowledge of verbs and adjectives among others) ultimately showing they failed English classes. BTW every word is not limited to four letters.

I saw a sign one time that stated, “Profanity is an ignorant mind trying to express itself forcibly.” Hey! Just saying.

Others will walk into bushes, on owners property, to urinate or take a dump. Some tubers/water mattress floaters, when their item deflates, just leave them in the water to hang up in strainers or along the shoreline, then hop on a friends floatie and go on their merry way.

Unfortunately this tends to send a message that all rec water users are irresponsible, which is far from the truth.

That said, one bad apple spoils a trip/water use for the whole bunch.

Another river landowner here…
in fact, I own a house on a river in Montana and a nice piece of land on a river in Missouri. I bought both with my eyes open, KNOWING I’d have to deal with river users, some of which are the bad apples. I don’t use the bad apples’ behavior to call for making my rivers private. It’s simply the price you pay for owning river frontage, or should be.

Having said that, I’ve got to say that the amount of bad behavior varies from state to state and river to river. The river in Montana gets a LOT of use, both by guided and unguided anglers and recreational floaters, yet everybody seems to be pretty well behaved and I’ve had no problems whatsoever in four years, even though on summer weekends I can watch hundreds of boats of various kinds going by the house. My land in Missouri is a little remote on a little floated river (way too low in the summer), but I know that there is far greater percentage of river dorks in Missouri than there seems to be in Montana.

By the way, I bought the place in Montana in part because of their enlightened river access law. That river ain’t the only one I use in Montana and I love the lack of restrictions on normal river use there, compared to Colorado or Wyoming.