Down side of modifying a Pygmy

IInteresting designs , some very close

– Last Updated: Jul-13-05 10:49 AM EST –

to what I have in mind.The one with the tractor-style seat is very close, but that seat is mounted very high.

what!???
Every boat has a chine. It is the line between the side and the bottom, whether it is a flat bottomed or v hulled, whether it is rounded (soft) or hard, every complete boat has a chine.

Somebody tell me what the differenc between a canoe and a kayak is if not the fact that one has a permanent deck and the other does not.

That is an interesting design.
Wonder where the spill over water goes when the wind picks up to over 3 nots.

What is the real reason?
Comfort is hard for me to accept since the cockpit is open enough to raise the knees. A completely open hull would only give you a little more room (inches?) to bend the knees at a lower angle and rest them on the sides.

I do not roll but I do lean hard for turns and that extreme advantage of the kayak would be lost for a few inches or extra room for the legs to bend. It hardly seems worth it. Whatever rec style boat you come up with would be limited to flat water, little wind and no leaned turns. A rudder would be mandatory on that boat and a heavy rain fall would also require a lot of bailing. Putting in scuppers might help. Is that possible?

Unless the real reason is a fear of sitting in an enclosed cockpit, it seems like a lot to give up for a little extra comfort.

Jim, I would be glad to let you paddle
an hour with my back in an enclosed cockpit. I am stuffing a beat upon, 6’6" body in there. And yes, my comfort is definately the issue.

Find the chine…
… on K1s and race skis!

Okee Dokee
6’6" is 4" taller than I am. And a bad back I understand is quite uncomfortable. I have had a pinched nerve for years and standing or walking too much cause numbess and discomfort. Sitting for more than an hour in my kayak causes some cramping in my leg and lower back so aI try to get to a beach before the second hour passes. I never had any issues with numbness or discomfort with sit on tops with total freedom of movement. I wish you luck should you take on this project and would be interested in the results.

May not be the answer but…
Via a fellow paddler who built a sheerwater design S&G I got the plans for the moveable foot rest that allows one to put their feet twd the middle vs the sides with the keepers foot braces.

I modified the design to a peg in block method of adjustment with the footbrace sliding on a wooden rail. Sheerwater carrys the plans ($5.)

This modification made a world of difference in leg room and paddling comfort(not to mention stability:o})

I’m a fairly large (6’230)and immobile (62 and enough partially working parts to qualify for a re-do )and I have to say: Sence the modification I’ve had very little problem with having enough room inside (albeit I don’t have thigh braces)and the entry and exit are 500% easier than what I went thru with the huge cockpit america.

btw…for those remembering the shoulder post and impending surgery…Three ortho docs looked at teh MRI and said…if you can deal with the discomfort…just go paddling. The internals are such a mess that surgery is moot.

"The Life and Times of Henry Rushton"
If you can find a copy, has staion measurements for some of Henry Rushton’s decked sailing canoes. I built one out of doorskin once just to test the methods of Tom Hill’s book. I added a few inches between stations to make it a foot longer than original. Actually paddled pretty good and turned OK, I wished I had gone ahead and used good materials, because I never got around to building the real one.

Chapell’s or Gardner’s books may have station measurements also, I don’t remember if they dealt with canoes or not.

Actually, if you use a pair of dividers and a ruler, you can take measurements off a lines drawing that shows a front/rear split view, and ratio it to whatever length and width suits you. I wouldn’t stray too far from the original, or unexpected problems may appear.

ah, yes
I see it now. I missed it when I skimmed through the photos this morning. That person must have much better balance than I do. I had considered doing something like that, but was looking for a short tandem kayak design, say something around 16-17’ and 28-30" wide, that I could use, although I’d probably want to extend the sides of the hull up a bit higher.