Down vs. Synthetic fill sleeping bags ..

One last caveat
Sleeping bags do come in sizes… even if its “regular” the girth can vary markedly.

You don’t want too much room (you will be colder) yet you may want freedom of movement.

Look for neck baffles…and drawcords…they really do help.

You really should try the bag on in the store. As there will be two of you this could be entertaining.

good advise , lol …

Fabulous summary, Karl!
Thanks.

I know for down bags that the bag construction is critical for allowing the bag to loft, but keep the down from shifting too much. There are all sorts of designs and claims for baffle design, differential cut, etc., but my understanding is that for any down bag used in colder conditions, you don’t want any direct sewing/connection of the inner and outer shell.

I have two down bags – one a 30+ yr. EMS Minilite (high quality duck down). Very light and compact, but the loft has suffered over the years (use, washing, and I may have torn a baffle or two?), but I still use it for a 3-season bag. Second bag is from LLBean – goose down fill. Very nice. Roomier, warmer, and included a cotton storage bag… I think a nice option for the price.

Backpacked and canoed with down bags. A little care and planning will keep the bag dry… ie, line your stuff sack with a plastic bag (kept my bag dry even in pouring rain mounted on the bottom of an external frame pack).

Bags:
This is my summer kayaking bag:

http://www.altrec.com/mountain-hardwear/spirit-sl-32-degree-sleeping-bag

Great combo of compactness, lightweight and weather resistant–still very important to keep 'em dry, of course.

Feathered Friends will custom make a bag to your body dimensions, which may be the best way to get that optimum weight/warmth ratio. I’ve had one of their custom minus 30 bags for years and I can’t say enough good about it.

I’ve also got a couple of cheaper TNF down bags that have some kind of water resistant shell, but aren’t technically a w/b fabric, that have served quite well–just keep 'em dry, like everything.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new bag.

Sizing for smaller people
You don’t say how tall your wife is, but if she’s small, the so-called women’s models will be warmer. I prefer those (they’re about 5’6" long) and they’re not only warmer, but lighter and less bulky, which helps for packing. No more folding the foot section underneath to reduce unoccupied (and therefore cold) space!

The women’s sleeping pads are also a nice way to cut down on unnecessary bulk.

Go With Lower Rating
I arrived late to this thread, but skimmed to see you’ve received all good responses, so I’ll just add in 2 things that may have not been mentioned.

One is that the degree you pick should be very low, much lower than you think you’ll ever camp in. I was told by an REI employee, the bags were rated as if the person inside wore a wool suit.

The second thing is the style. A mummy tends to keep you warmer faster since your body has less space to heat up. I don’t like to be that tightly enclosed, so my choice was a semi-rectangular. An advantage to that one is that it zippers across the bottom so you can use it as a cover if it gets warm to open it all the way. All the mummys I’ve seen zipper only part way down.

My bag came in a long version which I bought so I can sink my head into it, though some bags come with hoods. You could wear a hat, but I also like to keep my face warm on ultra cold days. So there’s my reasoning for what I bought.

-Capri

Down fantastic for 37 years

– Last Updated: Mar-06-09 7:32 PM EST –

I acquired a Holubar Down bag about 37 years ago, RATED AT -40F.
It has never failed me.

I am a mountaineer new to paddling, but used to serious conditions. New, it had a gigantic loft (10"?) making it a massive cylinder when used. It has lost much of its ultra-power over the years but has kept me warm in igloos, under the stars, on peak summits, in all-hell-breaking-loose-flying-gook conditions. It has kept me comfy in many a cool-to-warm evenings. It has NEVER been really wet though - because I HAVE NEVER LET IT GET WET!!!

Wash down bags by soaking in a bathtub with Woolite, rinse often, be careful when handling it, spin in a washer-machine, and dry in an industrial dryer with several knotted towels.

In super-cold weather I wear thin syntyhetic longjohn top & bottoms, with monster fleece socks, fingerless gloves, and a hat --- ALL of which are for sleeping ONLY. In less severe conditions I ease off the clothing - and unzip an opening at the feet, or open it completely. In warm conditions I sleep on top of the thing. In hot conditions - even being near it will warm me. I always use a therma-rest pad, full-size.

I suggest buying the WARMEST down bag you can afford - and with skill and care it may be with you for life. Temperature rating is usefull to COMPARE bags - but have never made any sense to me in an abolute measure (and I am a scientist who has made a career of quantifying things.) When you are tired, cold, wet, and hungry (like after a fall in cold water after you have pushed too far) I find the warm monster, with a "mug-up" of hot tea, just the ticket. In easy conditions - hey - you have a feather-bed.

Down vs synthetic
I have a Backside -15 degree synthetic bag filled with what they call X-fiber. They claim down-like performance with synthetic advantages. It does not compress as well as hi loft goose down, but it really is very warm in freezing conditions where you kayak is coated with ice in the morning. I was skeptical when looking at synthetic fills. All different names for the same stuff I supposed, but this X-fiber is extremly fine and different.

However I have an old REI down barrel bag from when REI was located on 11th Ave. Likely 1970’s vintage and I just love it. Not sure what it is rated as but it sure compresses small. Has a brass zipper and is snuggly soft and warm. I take the Backside when I know it will be freezing and the down bag for Spring and Summer. I have never had a synthetic bag that was worth crap after a few years. The old down bag is in excellent condition!

stop the insainity
I read a few of the posts. Yes we know that Down is supposed to be better than poly-anything-synthetic stuff. I have had a CHEAP old bag for, near to, 20 years and it is still functioning. this is the standard K-mart special style I got as ayouth from my parents. it has fire and cigatette burns, the fill is falt, the zipper is now how I tie it closed since it is no longer attached…this bag is worn out, but it works when I need it.

Go to the arm surplus store (a good one) and look at thier bags. I might have paid 80 bucks for my down bag there. Darn tootin’ I am not chaning back. UI now have my VERY old bag and two others. One is down and one is very light, very small bag. If I think the weather will be below 50 or I might get wet the old Brittish Feild bag goes with me. car camping or just need a bag for what ever gets my other one.

BUY DOWN it is worth every penny.

Liveoutside

OK , it’s done , bought two new bags …
… brand new and un-used still in original packing … US GI down (minus) -40 degree (miltary surplus)

These will have some extra room insude to move around . They weigh in a 11 lbs. each , but will pack down plenty small enough in a compression bag for canoe camps …

Total cost for both $ 253. , so that isn’t going to break the bank no matter how good , or not , they are … let ya know what I think of them when they get here .

Still intending to get a nice down double bag to share with her , probably a big ol rectangular type that zips each side and can be seperated into two halves (top and bottom) when desired .

and correct me if I’m wrong
but I thought REI’s heat rating (for example) was based on the assumption that you’re wearing a pair of long underwear to bed. I think I remember seeing that on their informational handout in the store. Socks keep you warm and toasty too (I pack a pair in my sleeping bag).

11 lbs?
didnt they take the buckshot out? Mountain Hardware bags at that rating are five lbs!

Minus forty? Where are you going?

Me thinks you missed the point.

yeah, the list says 11 lbs. , …

– Last Updated: Mar-07-09 6:19 PM EST –

.... I thought that seemed a little heavy even for a GI bag ... the weight doesn't bother me in the slightest , what's 11 lbs., I ain't back packing with them ?? More so , I'm curious just what makes an 11 lb. bag ??

As for where I'm going , actually no place special , just into the mountains ... sometimes a 5 gal. bucket of water turns solid overnight while you're sleeping there , imagine that ??

When they are not needed for sleeping in , they will most likely be used for sleeping on ... hence the 11 lbs. , just have to see how it goes .

The double bag will be a 20* or 40^ I think , more like a bed for mild conditions .

Worse case scenario is that they end up with the homeless folks around here .

Yikes

– Last Updated: Mar-09-09 5:42 PM EST –

I agree with kayamedic.

Down bags appropriate for kayak camping should weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 2 to 4 lbs. ELEVEN POUNDS?!

They must've used flannel liners and denim exteriors.

Minus 40 will kill you with overheating, IF it's a realistic rating. I've camped many times in high-altitude mountains (live in Colorado), and believe me, minus 40 simply isn't necessary unless you intend to winter-camp up high--which means you're not kayak- or canoe-camping. The water turns solid here in winter.