Drifting to the left

what pocket
Do you carry your wallet when you paddle? if so are you one of the majority and carry it in your back right pocket?

That’d do it

check your boat
I last year I had a brand new Capella 160 RM.

When I was making a wooden storage rack with just the same shape as the underside of the boat, I discovered, there was a difference between the left and the right side of the boat.

This boat was also tracking to one side.

Now I discovered why.

I returned it to the dealer, and he gave me a new one.

Effect of paddle length?
Is it harder maintain a straight course with a shorter paddle? Does a shorter paddle amplify a poor forward stroke technique?

Just switched from a 230 to a 210 and suddenly seem to be veering left … er, port. Skeg up. Experimented yesterday … if no correction strokes, went in a big circle, so that rules out (I think) wind (which was light).

Reading this post, went and carefully examined the hull … seems straight to me, so must be something I’m doing wrong.

what happens if…
You get out of the boat… and then just push it all by itself when totally empty in calm waters- does it still drift? Do you have a pool available to try this in? just a thought…

badjer

Years ago
I had a poly Valley Skerray that we nicknamed Lefty for the same reason. The Importer was a jerk about it and denied any problem with said kayak. If you took a string and attached it to the bow and stern it crossed the cockpit way off center. Po" be that your boat is tweakedly boats get pulled from a hot tool and placed in a cooling jig. It “may” be that your boat is tweaked.

Sorry for typos…

Same Issue on a Prijon
I’ve got a Prijoy Seayak kayak and it pulls to the left HARD. So much so that I literally cannot paddle on the left side at all if i want the boat to go straight. I even need to back paddle on the left from time to time. It’s a real drag. I haven’t installed the rudder yet… I’m sure that will help, but is it just putting a band aid on a gaping wound?

Has anyone seen this severe of a pull before? Would the “warping” talked about in this post be obvious? I think i see a slight warping after turning the boat over. Also, i store it by hanging it from the rafters in the garage. Could that affect the way the boat tracks?

Unfortunately i let the boat sit in my garage for over a year after buying it before taking it out. Now i’m afraid it’s out of warranty! Any ideas?

Thanks.

what happens if…

Posted by: badjer on Aug-01-06 11:07 PM (EST)

You get out of the boat… and then just push it all by itself when totally empty in calm waters- does it still drift? Do you have a pool available to try this in? just a thought…

badjer

that may not work- boat may be too high out of the water to have the defect engage…

laser level
Try laying it on its side. Get a laser level and run the beam from the nose to the tail. What does it look like. Is the hull perfectly in line with the beam? If yes your boat is straight. If not you found your problem. It’s easier with the laser as it will follow the contours of the boat. Good luck.

Scoliosis?
I have slight scoliosis in the thoracic spine, and one shoulder is about an inch higher than the other, noticeably affecting my stroke. I have to pay attention all the time, or else choke up on my paddle to make it a little longer on the high side . . . because of a slight S curve in my back, my upper torso lists over to the left, the same side with the high shoulder. Makes things a little “different” for me . . . something to take into account . . .

Thistleback