dry pants recommendation?

I wish I could tell you, for now lets
assume they are waterproof. :slight_smile: I used an authorized Stohlquist repair shop called

TRX

705 Alamosa Lane

Alamosa, Colorado 81101

719-589-4800

mens relief zipper-$64

Dry boots cloth- $58

I have not used my suit since they did the work and as such I reserve the right to come back here and tell you that I died in Lake Huron this January because of shoddy work. It looks good to the eye though. Bill

Don’t get integral boots
If you do get some H20 inside your outfit, it will be much easier to empty it out the bottom with gravity without the booties. 7mm dive booties are fine for any temperature that water is liquid.

Two piece drysuit vs dry pants
The two piece drysuit has a long flap on the top that the you roll up around the dry pants that come with the suit. Standard of-the-shelf dry pants don’t have that. I think if money was not an issue, the poster would go out and buy the drysuit with all the bells and whistles. I’m not sure if Kokatat even makes the two piece suit any more ??

I too have been totally warm on winter rolling sessions and wet exits, but I dressed for that activity with lots of under layers. But most paddlers tread that fine line of having enough for a capsize and being able to actually paddle without overheating. Usually when I winter paddle, I wear enougth for a quick swim but not quite enough to practice rescues for an hour. I think every winter paddler goes through that under layer choice. Once again, If the paddler is going off shore in any serious conditions, get the drysuit. The drypants combo does work but as you said you could get a tiny bit of water leakage. The assumption with all of this is not to do anything stupid with your paddling.

Kokatat - 2 piece exists
yep, two piece systems exist with Kokatat.

Personally, I am more comfortable in a one piece dry suit than a two piece. The OP owns a dry top already and if they were to buy a dry pant, especially one w/ relief zipper he would be fine so long as committed to folding properly. Most 2 piece systems do not have relief zips so must be put back on again properly after peeing and so are a bit of a fiddle.

Also, when using pants w/o relief zipper in the winter or rain, you expose a large portion of your butt or undergarments to the weather (more so for women) than you would need to w/ relief zips.

And as a side note, Kokatat is making for 2009 a new product - dry pants with socks with the top of the drypant a really well fitting waistband with neoprene and velcro closure. I am told that they don’t fill up when swimming and when worn with a dry top (as they should be), they make a complete dry outfit.

Suz

ankle gaskets
For comfort, an attached sock/bootie is a better option than an ankle gasket. When I wear an ankle gasket, it cuts off circulation to my feet and my feet will get cold or fall asleep regardless of what I have on over them.

I personally have never heard of anyone whose dry pants have filled up because they had the integral socks instead of ankle gaskets. Perhaps in white water if you were caught in a hole and your neck gasket blew you could potentially get more water in there. I would still wonder how much could get past a properly fitted PFD and down below your PFD.

Suzanne

Good info here
I appreciate all the advice and discussion I’m getting here.

You’re correct that it gets cold up here in downeast Maine, although I’m not planning to do anything more than typical exercise paddles when it’s near freezing. 1 to 2 miles from shore in well-chosen weather, with well-practiced rescue partners.

I agree that a one-piece suit would be ideal, and I really hope to get that in the next couple years. However, everything I’m hearing from my local paddlers is that buying less than Kokatat Gore Tex is not worth it, because they’re only a couple hundred more than a lesser suit, and they have a lifetime warranty and much more effective breathability. People generally wear drysuits year-round up here, because water temps are in the 50s in August. So drysuits get a lot of use, and are often worn even when air temps are in the 60s and 70s.

I don’t think I want to pay $500 for a drysuit that I’ll wear out in 5 years, and have to buy another drysuit. Also, I don’t want a drysuit that keeps me as sweaty as my current 5mm farmer john.

So, the options at this point (when I don’t have $800 to spend) are to get a drybib that mates well with my top, or just live with my farmer john under the dry top during cooler weather and save up for a full suit.

Ah, decisions, decisions. :frowning:

What do people think about buying a used goretex suit? Seems they can be had for $500-600. I don’t think you get the benefits of the lifetime warranty though. And I know a few paddlers around here who have had their suits replaced by Kokatat because of delamination. So I could save money that way, but I’d be kicking myself in a few years if I have a problem, and have to pay for repairs out of pocket.

Kind of a false economy
I picked up an NRS drysuit for $333 two years ago. Has the integral booties and is pretty breathable. That was less than I paid for a drytop, dry pants and Chota Mukluks. While I was dry, my feet were always cold and taking a leak was a real pita. ( My suit does not have a “relief zip” but the ziooer is long enough so I do not have to doff the suit to take a wizz). A 2 piece suit works and the bibs usually better than the pants but the economy is not really all that great.

cheaper drysuits
Yeah, that’s why I’m a little torn. My concern with a cheaper drysuit is that I’ll be too sweaty. Since I’d likely wear it most of the year I don’t want to get something that leaves me wet with perspiration.

It’s hard to evaluate that without having a couple suits to try for a couple days though. All the people I know have Gore-Tex suits, so no useful experience there either.

How’s your NRS suit working for you? Do you find that it breathes adequately?

Have not worn it
since I moved to Orange County, but is was fine up in Tahoe. My under garments were no very moist and I was comfortable after 4 hrs of paddling and rolling.

depenz

Question on using with a Dry Top

– Last Updated: Nov-19-08 2:52 PM EST –

I got the Black Rock NRS dry pants and have the Level Six Duke drytop.

I stayed dry (or at least did not feel any wetness) for the first couple of re-enter and roll attempts. However, as I continued training, water began to seep-in and I got really cold after probably 15-20 minutes practice in 50 degree water - had a may be a quart each at my ancles squashing in the pants and not leaking out thru my gaskets when walking on the beach after that (the pants have really tight gaskets - too tight IMO)...

So the question is, how to properly mate the top and the pants to minimize leakage? I had the pants over the drytop tunnel and the sprayskirt over them and the drytop outer layer fastened over the skirt as much as it allows. Is there a trick to roll them together partially or something? As it is, I would trust this to be virtually dry for an inadvertent swim and re-entry, but would not trust it for much else. I suppose if I just stay in the water without too much movement they will also stay dry but with active "struggle" I don't see it happening...

1 Like

Stohlquist bpod is a great drysuit!
I love mine…VERY comfortable…breaths great…and the neck gasket is more comfortable than any latex one i have ever used…

Stohlquist has been making dry suits for a long time…and the materials they use are bombproof…i have no worry how my suit will be in 5 years from now…all for a 500$ suit…with fabric booties too…

seriously look into them!!!

rob