Dry Suit Recommendations and possible Under Liner as Well

Wouldna them thea’ gators git ya 'fore the chill do kill ya?

(Pathetic attempt at New Orleans accent in text… :neutral: )

Gators probably can’t move in the cold like bugs

Someone should make gatorsuits. Doesnt do much good to stay warm and dry if you’re gator food.

@qajaqman said:
Someone should make gatorsuits. Doesnt do much good to stay warm and dry if you’re gator food.

Gators like hot food!

Plus your comfortable till you’re done. although guess you’re better numb.

Alligators hide in their dens during the Winter…and yes the waters get very cold during the Winter…I’ll be doing a Kayaking trip this coming Monday with a professional…I would think he would know what equipment I should buy. I can’t wait. ::

Hard for us to give a specific answer, as I am not sure we are clear about what temps you will see and for how long (is it a week a year, or months). And your preference for materials and such.

To make it more confusing, you also have the option of getting a wet suit and paddle jacket. Quite a bit cheaper. 3mm farmer John is standard for wet suit, but 2 mm and/or shorty type are options if you dont get real cold. Pay the extra for a relief zip. Wet suits keep you warm, but don’t stop wind chill, which is why you want a paddle jacket.

I guess (as someone who hasn’t been to your neck of the woods), I have trouble understand how cold it can get in LA. Just not believing water temps can get into 30s or 40s.

I don’t think they do. I have paddled in LA in Feb and while mornings are chilly the water temps are never in the 40’s. I paddled Atchafalaya and the north side of Ponchartrain by Mandeville… NOAA shows an absolute minimum water temp of 54.in Feb.

If you feel you need a drysuit ( which would extend your paddling range further north) consider Mythic Dry Suits
https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

The owner believes everyone in Maine needs a drysuit on the water and has made his market the weekend paddler. Not for guides who live in them year round but they hold up for the vast majority of us.

We are extremely humid…meaning when we do get cold Winters we are sometimes in the teens…not every year it gets cold but when it does it is absolutely freezing…and that includes the water. We actually have snow every year now which is insane. I have a lot to think about here and like I said this pro kayaker I’ll be going out with this coming week can probably give me some good advice.