dry suit versus wet suit

wet suits wick water
that’s what they do. So you will get water under the top formerly-known-as-dry

Yup
Dry top over a paddling wetsuit my be marginally dry, depending on the seal, in fairly calm rolling conditions for not a lot of tries. But not at all if out of the boat. And you’ll get water seeping in even if you stay in in in turbulent water or do a lotta wet work. The only thing that some people here have found that may stay pretty dry is a two piece dry combo, one of the manufacturer’s (I forget which) bib setups that has a really solid join at the waist.

The critical problem with a regular paddling wetsuit in those environments isn’t as much when you are in the water, as long as the wetsuit is of sufficient thickness, but when you have a wet torso or lower boady (below the drytop) out in the air. Wet neoprene is totally useless at holding heat out of the water, so cool air coming at you can give you a hell of a chill.

Sing has mentioned that the surf suits these days are light and very warm, allow plenty of movement, though the good ones apparently cost a good bit more than the sub-100 dollars you’ll pay for a decent Farmer John or similar from NRS. About the same as a non-breathable drysuit if I rememebr that thread right.

so …
a good wetsuit with a cag or a nylon splash jacket would cover the wind blocking while in the boat and if you are taking a swim you can at least stay warm…carry a pair of windproof nylon pants for beach landings and you are all set? wet but at least warm?

sorry. but I really am looking for the most versatile arrangement. since I already have a dry top I guess the kokotat or Palm bibs would be best all around? Remember that this is secondary as I have the B-pod already.

Paul

?
hoping for an answer for my previous question.

Paul

As to bottoms

– Last Updated: Feb-09-07 7:37 AM EST –

If you presume dry is out of the picture and just need to stay warm moving in and out of the boat, I have a pair of Lotus very not-fancy pants that do fine over hydroskin or wetsuit for warmth in coldcer stuff, or over paddling shorts in transition temps. They are just a pair of older velcro-closure bottoms and a not-mating neoprene waist (it's really too narrow to mate), coated nylon of some decent sort. They stay out of my way if swimming and work in the air and in the boat to block or trap air.

That said, I would go for a better pair, something that had a waist that mated at least well enough to reduce the incoming water, were I to be buying now since swimming has gotten to be rare thing in controlled circumstances. The stuff you mention is what I periodically scan sales for a cheap price on.

It'd be mated with what is a good drytop that I already have.

Also - make sure the pants have a non-slip pad or material over the knees, in sum are real paddling pants. Really complicates rolling when you suddenly find yourself sliding sideways...

thanks celia
went out this morning 31 degrees…typical 54 degree water with hydroskins and a pair of bombadier paddling pants I got on ebay for about 30 bucks with neoprene/velcro closures on the ankles and a thin neoprene band on waist. Unfortunately, there is a section with velcro that fits over about two inches of the neoprene to help tighten the waist but nevertheless, I was able to wear them with my dry top and some waterproof socks and chotas and walked into the water and did not get any water in the waist area…granted I did not roll or twist about much but it wasn’t a bad situation where water just poured in.

While i will probably end up getting a pair of the bibs, I think that given that I would be wearing a tuilik over this arrangement for constant rolling, I should be all right. It certainly kept me dry and if I did take a swim, I suppose I would get some wetness but the hyudroskins should keep me warm enough to re-enter and roll or get to shore and get some dry clothes on.

Paul