Dry suit

Fit
The way the hood fits on the current expedition model, it doesn’t billow out. You can snug it down pretty tight if you want or have it so loose that it works like a storm anchor, your call.

Roy
Roy,

Really? I always thought you were more anti dry suit all along :slight_smile:

Damon…

Damon
I Don’t like wearing them…but do when I need one.

and I carry one when I fly to Iceland and also for long paddling trips.

they really help when the weather gets real iffy…that’s why my next one will have a hood.

I’ve paddled in rain so hard that could hardly see much beyond the bow of my kayak. I have a hood for my Reed paddling jacket and have been glad of it several times.

The drysuit is always my back-up for if the weather gets really nasty and I still feel it’s a good day to paddle.

I still don’t have to like the restriction compared to simply wearing less:>)

Best wishes

Roy

any issue
with de-lamination with the suit at all guys?

guaranteed
If you ever have delamination issues, Kokatat will replace your suit with a new one. (NRS will too, apparently)

you guys are a great resource.
being large purchase and my first bought drysuit I want to research as much as I can.

Thanks again.

When you capsize, hoods catch sail
in current. Have one if you want one, last thing I want on my head in current, upside down, is a fricken hoodie.

Dogmaticus

I can

They replaced mine…
The first time I sent my dry suit in for new gaskets, Kokatat decided the Gore-Tex was delaminating and sent me a new suit. I hadn’t noticed any issue with the Gore-Tex.

Hood and rolling

– Last Updated: Feb-08-10 8:17 AM EST –

The hood rolls down around your neck and is no problem rolling. At least I don't notice it. And there are probably many neater jobs at roll it down than I've ever managed.

I haven't tried rolling with it on - at those moments I am usually trying to avoid that... :-)

Had I to guess, I would imagine it would be the same risk as rolling with the hood deployed than with the hood up on the fancy cag's that go around the coaming. People either seem to manage that OK, or find ways to avoid the problem.

(Later - dogmatycus makes a point about current and a deployed hood. But I believe this poster is mostly a long boater.)

My new Expedition is a replacement…
…for a Stohlquist suit that delaminated. Gore replaced it with a Kokatat, since Stohlquist no longer uses Gore-Tex. I offered to pay the difference between the GMer and the Expedition, since the former was the most equivalent suit to the one I had, but they just sent me the Expedition and wouldn’t accept any money.

It’s that type of service that keeps me buying Gore-Tex products.

for sale

– Last Updated: Feb-08-10 7:19 AM EST –

If anyone is looking , I have a Dry suit for sale. Brand new, never used. email me for details.
Kokatat Exp. Med. mango/black, front relief zip and hood.
steves@eddyline.com

hoods, pockets and drains…
I’ve got a front entry Meridian (its a few years old) w/ socks. Cannot really answer to the differences in “cut” between the Meridian and the Expedition, but if money wasn’t an object I’d go with the one that had the best features for the application.

I paddle whitewater in my drysuit and I really like not having anything over my ears under my helmet. Since you never know what is coming around the corner when winter paddling - even on rivers you know - I don’t like having my hearing obscured in the slightest. If someone is blowing a whistle up ahead, I want to hear it.

I think if I used my drysuit primarily in the ocean I’d be more interested in the hood. I don’t really winter paddle in my sea kayak, or I haven’t this year, but I think one is exposed more to long stretches of wind in that type of paddling and the hood could sure be useful.

The extra little pockets in the sleeves look pretty cool. I can’t really get to the chest pocket easily around my PFD so I’ve never used it.

Also - the Expedition is supposed to have some drains around the sleeves. I’m not sure what for (and I spend some significant time under my boat, believe me) but I’d be interested in knowing.

Also - drysuits require care! 404 on the gaskets and zipper lube. Store it inside, hung up, zippers open. I hose the outside of mine off if it gets dirty.

Just how toasty and not sweaty you will be depends what you wear under it. I’ve got a Kokatat polartech liner and I may wear another layer or two on top its under 40F. My friend who is always super cold, wears the Stolquist bunny suit under her drysuit, that is supposed to be the warmest thing around.

Oh - and my feet FREEZE in winter paddling. I’ve been using those 4 hour heated liner things in the second pair of socks with some success, but am investigating battery powered for next year. My hands would be pretty toasty in wet pogies, but my dry feet - awful!

GMER ROCKS
Get the Goretex GMER, it has a lifetime quarantee from Gore tex. Its the only drysuit made that lasts, doesnt delaminate, and breathable. Ive used other suits and they dont work or last as long as kokatats gmer.

Have the GMER, would get Expedition
if doing it again. Both pockets and hood would be useful sometimes.