Dry suit

Mendota
Guideboatguy, I’ve coasted from the Dane Co. park on hyway M to Gov. Nelson State Park in some rotten weather (last spring) and made a couple crossings of the western lobe of Mendota (between the Co park and Eagle heights). Mendota can build up some nice waves in the wind.

I’ve seen a few self powered people on the water around the county park but only on the warmest mildest days.

I’ll be at Canoecopia (whoo hoo!!!) next weekend. I’ll start my hunt for a dry suit there.

Still keep your wet suit
One thing I would suggest is if you ever think about wearing shorts & a t-shirt under your dry suit do to outside air temp wear the wet suit instead. Many people don’t mention that in the water a dry suit will keep you dry but does not offer thermal protection. All your thermal protection comes from what you wear under it. As a couple of people have already said what you wear is a personal decision and if you have a dry suit and wet suit don’t be afraid to wear the wet suit if you think it would be a better option. You can Google Isle Royal or Apostle Island and find reports from plenty of people that have done them with just a wet suit and a good eye on the weather.

Can you rent drysuits in your area?
If you only get to those locations a few times a year and the rates are low, maybe you could rent a drysuit instead of buying one.

If it were me, I’d buy one, because that far north it’s not just the Great Lakes that have cold water. You can expand your paddling season if you have a good drysuit.

Or maybe rent to try it out, then decide for yourself.

Wayne Horodowich (sp?)
has a pretty cool continuum of conditions and appropriate gear on his University of Kayaking website.

According to him there is a place in the paddler’s wardrobe for both wet and drysuits, just different places on the continuum.

I’m leaning toward a Stohlquist Bpod at this point, with a Kokatat GFE in second place.

Dry Suit
Kayakers love their drysuits, but there are other ‘safe’ options. And like anything, you should always try before you buy - and ‘each his own’. Not one option is better or safer than the other, but rather it’s what works for you, your skill level, and environment. Both options will extend your paddling season. After owning two Kokatat Meridians, I now love wetsuits and paddle in very cold temps which when surfing a sup I’m fully immersed after a fall. I also wave ski and sea kayak, and usuallly not on calm sunny days.

When I was learning kayaking, instructors would tell us that if we didn’t wear at drysuit, our survival time in an emergency would be much less. But I’d look around and wonder why the surfers in wetsuits were comfortably sitting immersed in the same water not showing any signs of struggle or discomfort.

In very cold environments including the Great Lakes, Alaska, etc surfers are out and Fully immersed in frigid water yet completely comfortable in full surfing wetsuits. Not all wetsuits are wet, I have a Xcel Infinity that is dry inside when I remove it after a winter surfing session. Some such as Patagonia’s suits are lined with Merino wool. RipCurl now has a suit and hood that dries in 15 minutes. Others for extreme conditions have built in battery packs which some say are too hot.

Comfort? Good surfing wetsuits are Very comfortable. If you swim, they’re more efficient than a baggy drysuit with the occasional air bubble. Cons? Surfing wetsuits don’t have pee zippers but they can be added. I prefer back zippers vs a top entry. You can add layers to a wetsuit. I add a capeline top under my 4/3 in 30F conditions and an old dry top over in 30kt+ windchill in the 10F range. If I had a 5/4, or a R4 Patagonia suit neither extra layer would be needed (for me).

There’s several wetsuits on the market which will keep you plenty toasty in even the coldest water without hindering flexibility or risking your safety. Wetsuits also float! A leaky drysuit can in a worst case scenario become a dangerous water filled wetsuit. I remember once getting to a winter launch and having my drysuit neck gasket rip open even after regularly treating it with 303, bad timing.

my 2 cents…

Yes–what do you have now?
If you select carefully, you can use both wetsuits and drysuits (not simultaneously) to cover a huge range of temperature and comfort.

I use both and prefer wetsuits for most of the year here. But I like the drysuit for the coldest water. Also, it is nice in that you just remove it when finished paddling and can stay in your dry insulating layers underneath. With wetsuits, the insides will be noticeably damp from sweat alone. Might not matter, depending on air temperatures, wind, etc.

Some wetsuits are better than others for this–I have one with a fleece-like lining that feels better than regular neoprene. But it’s still clammier than a drysuit and wicking layers.

It’s a tossup for me between less bulk (wetsuit) and dryer feel when taking a break (drysuit). BOTH give me added flotation when immersed. Even a just-burped drysuit has a surprising amount of air inside.

If you already have a full wetsuit, maybe all you need to add is a drytop for added protection from windchill.

absolutely
There is absolutely a place for both, IMO. Drysuits don’t replace having some sort of wetsuit wear. I mostly wear a drysuit from mid Sept. to mid June. The rest of the time I wear a shorty wetsuit, or wetsuit shorts and a drytop, or something like that. Drysuits get too hot in summer, but the water is still too cold to be safe in street clothes.

If you stay in the sport, it’s less a question of “which garment to I buy”, and more a question of “which do I buy first”. You’ll end up with a whole collection of various wet and dry wear, most likely.

Dry Suit
check out these new drysuits by Ocean Rodeo in Victoria BC. Some different concepts for a drysuit… http://oceanrodeo.com/

If I lived in the Midwest
and wanted to paddle in the winter, I would get a drysuit and fleece. In fact I did live in the Midwest and paddle in winter, and had a drysuit and fleece. Paddled down into the low 40s. It was one of the best investments I ever made. Better than the boat itself, because you can paddle anything.

Bargin hunting
I sometimes paddle in winter, though on a river and I watch the forecasts closely and pick my days carefully.

Like you I was on a budget and really couldn’t justify the $400+ price tag for the amount of cold weather paddling I do.

Several years ago I saw an Ebay drysuit (survival suit actually) for $120. I snapped it up. It was worthless for paddling. It was made of a very thick inflexible material and had a zip running from shoulder to shoulder that acted like a mini leaf spring every time I made a (canoe) paddle stroke. Fifty or sixty strokes and I was already beginning to tire. It would have been just the ticket for being lowered from a helicopter off the Grand Banks to rescue a fisherman, but not for paddling.

Two years ago I made the discovery that a fellow I knew who used to own a paddling shop in Madison had a bunch of military surplus drysuits hanging in his attic. They were of a lighter, though still non-breathable, material and the zip ran around the chest under the arms. Its not easy to put on and you have to be careful to make sure the zip is closed all the way, but it is serviceable and was $150. There were some seams I had to retape, but it works for my purposes. I don’t know if I’d want to swim a mile or tread water for a half hour in it, but I don’t put myself in a position where I might have to. And its far, far better and safer than the wet suit under fleece that I used to use. I don’t hesitate a second to wade to my chest in it and a forecast for freezing rain is not a safety consideration at all anymore.

You might want to shoot an email to Carl’s Paddlin’ in Lone Rock and see if he has any more, or any in your size. It might be worth checking out if you’re already in Madison for Canoecopia.

I’m sure the dry suits mentioned previously are better suits and your uses might demand a better suit, but it might be worth checking out. If your uses are limited, as mine are, it could save you some $$$. Just a maybe helpful thought…

Non-breathable dry suits are not dry
They may not leak, but you’ll be swimming in your own sweat. They’re just another waste of money “stepping stone” on the way to buying a good quality, waterproof/breathable dry suit. You’re better off to save your money and buy a dry suit designed for paddling.

I agree 100%
“It always seems like there is always an element of risk when you truly enter the great outdoors. If you cover the trails in Yellostone you immediately up your chances of encountering a grizzley. The careful person then takes the appropriate precautions.

My take is if you play the game after you cross your T’s and dot your I’s (safety-wise)you should be able to go forth with a clear conscious.”

In the past I have been guilty of minimizing the very substantial risks associated with paddling in all but the most benign conditions. No more. I feel much better now. I wear and carry all I can to protect myself and those around me. Still there are serious risks. Grizzly bears are a serious danger no matter what precautions you take. Cold open water is dangerous. The experiences are worth the risks for sure - but it is important to do all you can to control the risks. Equipment is one part of that. Skill development is perhaps even more important. The right frame of mind is key. Know your limits and know the risks.

and breathable drysuits are not dry
unless you paddle like my grandma. Paddlers survived for decades in drysuits before the advent of gortex. Don’t indulge in hyperbole. For warmth, I actually prefer the old urethane suit. Prefer the no booties, too (but I know I’m in the minority on that). Different strokes …

Just Hung Mine Up to Dry
I ain’t never going back. Dry is the THING. Watch for a bargain; discontinued models. I got a new drysuit some years back for half price.

dry suit
Since you already have a decent boat,id invest in the best drysuit you can afford,,,i have wetsuits and a dry suit,,,,being from Ohio,,,on Lake Erie/inland lakes in winter,,the drysuit affords me much more comfort and has bumped up the confidence levels,,being able to roll,self rescues in frigid waters by eliminating thecold shockupon immersions,,while my wet suit,,id still experience the cold waters as they leaked in making things uncomfortable,i do wear my wet suit when water temps approach 60 deg though,actually did a 7 mi paddle on 3-2-12 Lake Erie without any worry on water temps,strange winter this year,no ice!!