Dry suits: full suits vs tops & bottoms

Sorry, I know this is an old thread. But I’ve been looking at the Reed cags as possibly a good option to extend the paddle season, but not into really cold water territory, and possibly decent for doing Greenland practice in warmish but not super-warm water…? I wondered what your opinion is of the Aquatherm Dry Cag vs the Aquatherm Touring Cag. The latter has a zip neck that can be opened and vented, and a detachable hood. But is it functionally less good and less dry than the Dry Cag with the fixed neck? Thank you.

A paddling jacket is a very important piece of gear. The vent-able neck is much more user friendly for paddling. The dry gasket neck is much more user friendly for rolling and basically being more in the water. I have both and never wear the dry jacket.

When I go paddling, my jacket is carried all the time even if the weather is warm {it changes fast when a storm comes for a visit} I like vent-able, but close-able. If I was still focusing on WW, {when I was way younger} I would wear a gasket-ed neck all the time. {I paddle Lake Superior} I need vented unless the weather is such that I am wearing a dry suit.

If I go out to just practice Greenland rolling, I wear a Tuilik…But I don’t care to paddle in one. {Too Warm for me}

If I was choosing … I would go vent-able {when closed up , very little water gets in, not enough to bother} {might depend on how you paddling jacket/cag fits you.} When I got my Reed paddling cag, I sent my measurements to Christopher Reed and he made it to fit me. I hope that helps some…

1 Like

If only buying one or the other, then I would buy the one that suits most of your paddling and just cope with it being less than perfect for the small percentage of use. If not rolling in ice water, a small amount of wet is usually very acceptable. For the shoulder seasons, venting some when paddling {for Me} is necessary.

Either one could be paired with a pair of Kokatat Whirlpool {or Hydrus} bibs to make into an even more weatherproof/submersion option. {Allows buying and building a system a portion at a time}

Thanks very much, that is helpful. Who knew clothing choices could be so interesting?

2 Likes

I bet you’re not surprised I’m back with another question. :wink:

Is the Kokatat Tectour Anorak a similar jacket to the Reed Touring cag? The neck looks less good on the Kokatat but are they otherwise comparable?

They are both good jackets. Serve the same purpose. The Reed doesn’t have any latex wrist seals to need replacing as time goes by. Also the reed seems a bit stretchy . Both are vent-able . My Reed is an older one and doesn’t have a zipper at the neck so I don’t know if the new one is as comfy as mine that just has a snap neck. I like that the hood is removable on the Reed, but that also means that if you need a hood and you removed it…

My Kokatat Tec tour has a neck surface that is lined in a soft surfaced neoprene {like glide skin} and is comfy and has a Velcro to tighten the neck. {My reed doesn’t have a tightener strap at the neck, but I had mine made to my measurements so it doesn’t need one. The front on my Kokatat has a long Velcro opening {or closing}

If on the fence as to which to get…flip a coin…if you are disappointed in the coin toss, it means you really already made a choice and wanted the other. So forget which one, won the toss, and buy what you actually wanted.

I like both, but tend to wear my Reed. I also tend to have the hood removed and carried in my "What If " extra cloths bag in the kayak…

Like I said before, I have rolled while wearing my paddling jacket, but usually practice rolling for fun wearing a Tuilik. My Reed is less baggy so That might be a factor for rolling. Also having no hood to catch water {remember, I have mine removed on my Reed}

As a padding jacket , Either jacket works. Not sure any of that rambling helps.
Good Luck with your decision…

2 Likes

Thanks, it definitely does help! I realize that as time goes by I’ll refine my idea of what works best for me, so as long as I can resell whatever I buy, I guess it doesn’t matter if I make a mistake. I made about half a dozen mistakes with boats, after all, and those ones are someone else’s now. It’s a process.

1 Like

OP here…

Obviously this is not a “one size fits all” arena. Pun intended.

I now own three kayaks and four Kokatat dry suits, three of which I purchased used. I had the gaskets replaced on one by the Kayak Academy.

I do almost all of my paddling in the San Juan Islands. The summer air temps are nice, in the 70s or low 80s now and then. The water temp is COLD 360 days a year though. On my very first paddle I went for surprise unintended swim. This was a great learning experience as I now know what a shock that cold water really is!

If I go out with others I don’t always wear a suit. If I paddle alone I always wear a full dry suit. The dry suit is a chore to get in and out of but the added safety factor can’t be overlooked. I wear a big cotton floppy hat that I dunk it the water if I am feeling hot. The nice thing about the San Juan’s is that the air temps never get uncomfortably hot like most of the country.

Bottom line: you have to consider local air temps, water temps, distance from the shore, and group vs paddling alone factors for what you are wearing.

If I am taking inexperienced guests on a paddle then I make them wear a suit most of the time, especially if we will be island hopping and not always super close a shore. But being just five feat away from Rocky high bank is still dangerous if you can’t land…