dry top vs suit vs nothing?

Just got off the water with my
Kokatat and here were the conditions: Water@ 42F, air@ 51F,light wind. I wore heavy wool socks, Polartec Microfleece tights, a Mysterioso Mtech top, and Chota mukluks over the suit’s socks- I did about 3 miles upstream on a small winding river (the manhan) and after about 1-1/2 hours of resonably strenous continuous (except for 3 liftovers and a little brush clearing with a hand saw)I was feeling a bit damp & toasty so I took off my hat and gloves. After interupting a mink’s meal of mussels I turned around and quickly dried out(10 minutes) on went the hat and gloves, comfortable again. It won’t keep up with 100% of the moisture you can generate, but it’s not too far off, a quick break balances it out nicely.

Best-

~Glenn

Dry Suits vs. everything else
I’ve been paddling canoes and kayaks as a guide and recreationalist in southeast Alaska for two years now. I’m also a scuba diver and certified water safety instructor. There is no substitute for the safety of a dry suit. While a wetsuit will keep you warmer, it will not keep you warm enough to totally protect you from the debilitating effect of cold water. And it’s also true that dry suits can, over time, develope holes, but this chance decreases with the quality of your suit. If you buy a Kokatat, NRS or Palm upper end suit your suit will last through years of hard use. You may never need it, but that one time you go in the water when you do need it, you’ll thank God that you were wearing it. Not only will it save your life, but allow you to help those around you.

I started wearing wet suits and I stopped because, well, they’re wet!

Stay dry, and you’ll stay warm. Stay warm, and you’ll stay alive. And ALWAYS wear a good PFD!