Drysuit Owners...Need Thoughts

keeping up with the Jones’
Okay - since I feel partly responsible for this, I’ll put my 2 cents out there too.

I do NOT think you need to get a drysuit now (although if you really, really want to, then by all means do, and no doubt, having a drysuit and being DRY is much nicer than being WET!). BUT, I managed just fine last winter with a farmer john, a mysterioso longsleeve top, a not-so-great paddling jacket, and (maybe most important) a neo hood. As everyone who knows me is aware, I have temperature issues, to put it mildly. I’m probably the only person you know that can get a chill on a 90 degree day, and you know I always have to sit closer to the fire at camp than anyone else. Even though winter is the peak paddling season here, most of the ww paddlers here do NOT have drysuits and make do with the farmer john/paddle jacket combo. If you take a swim, you are going to be out of the water in under 5 minutes, and if you are not out of the water in under 5 minutes, what you are wearing is probably not going to help you (e.g. your problem is not going to be hypothermia). You take some dry fleece just in case, some firestarter just in case, and someone will also have a space blanket in their first aid kit just in case (I do). Last year I never had to use any of the “just in case” materials even though I counted fishes at least once on every trip. I would start to get a little chilly at the end of any long break, but I also took dry fleece gloves and a fleece windblock hat which makes a nice difference during a break.

For me the difference the drysuit was going to make is that last year I stuck to trips on fairly warm, fairly sunny days (40’s to 50’s). If it was extra windy, overcast, and cooler (high’s not above the 30’s, then I passed. This is all a moot point this year BECAUSE THERE IS NO WATER. But I imagined that with the drysuit I would be game to paddle just about any day if something was up. The other difference is that I felt I paddled more conservatively in cooler weather, and I felt the drysuit would let me be less concerned about a possible swim, so I would go ahead and get out there. Last year I sat out some surf sessions because I didn’t want to take a swim (or at least I sat them out after my first swim because I didn’t want to take ANOTHER swim).

So all that is to say, if we actually had something to paddle, I think all you need to add right now is a longsleeve insulating top. You’ve got a farmer john, and you’ve got a paddling jacket. I wouldn’t say this to a stranger, but knowing me and knowing you, I am confident that if I could manage with that setup, then so could you.

Besides, if you buy a drysuit now, it’s one more thing to jinx it from ever raining again. :o)

kokatat
keep in mind that kokatat WILL do custom lengths on legs and arms!!!the can adjust up to 2" either way!!!not many people know that part…

btw: ems kokatat supernova semi dri is at ems for like 150$…you have to call the customer service…

dry vs semi-dry
What is the difference between Dry and Semi-dry?

I am a total newbie to these suits. (read above)

Thanks, Jay Hawkins

The difference (bacially)

– Last Updated: Dec-22-05 2:02 PM EST –

Dry has latex wrist and neck seals.

Semidry has latex wrist seals and something else for the neck (like neoprene).

It's a compromise: latex is tight and dry and neoprene is looser and a bit wetter.

If you are sea kayaking and not a crazy roller type and not a nut-job WW dude, the semidry is worth concidering. (I bought a suit with a latex seal.)

ems???

– Last Updated: Dec-22-05 2:15 PM EST –

Corgimas, Are you sure it was EMS? I just called them and the CSR acted like I had two heads when i asked about the Supernova. He did indicate that they had Kokatat Immersion ($830 ouch!) For $150 I would be all over that.

Thanks anyway.
Jay

on the other hand…
I just realized I may be letting you down with this post.

If you want to get a drysuit, you let me know and I’ll edit my post to encourage you in that direction. After all, that’s what friends are for: helping one other to justify expensive paddling purchases.

Personally, I need some “help” deciding I need a lighter carbon fiber paddle, and I know I can count on you to back my play. So whatever you need, you just let me know!!!

:o)