Drysuits Are The THING

We did but you didn’t LISTEN, ha
Just kidding. Drysuits are expensive so some of us (including myself) waste money and time with the drytop/drypant combo first.

That said, I found I like using wetsuits for not-so-cold conditions in spring and fall.

Stay alive, dude. NM

Hood
I am so used to using a tuiliq that I am at a loss as to what hood to wear while rolling where I can minimize water up the neck. (I have a henderson dive hood which tightens around the face but this does nothing for the back of the neck. what do you guys use?

Paul

Great question Paul
I have the same concerns. I have seen some hoods listed that are specific ‘dry suit hoods’ that seem to have less of a wide collar but are snugger around the neck and maybe just long enough to overlay the latex neck gasket.

Anyone tried one of these? I - like Paul - HATE to feel cold water on my neck so am looking for the best non-tuilik alternative when wearing my drysuit. (Palm Stikine)

Scott

NRS Mystery Hood over Henderson Ice Cap
For moderately cold water I use a Mystery Hood. For genuinely cold water I wear a Henderson Ice Cap under my Mystery Hood.

Hood
A couple years back I went to a local dive shop and bought a hood. It says “Deep See” on it. I’ve been very happy with it… but I might just have a numb neck.

Kayaking WA Pacific Ocean
I think it’s very believable that an off shore island could have all types of Indian artifacts. You can find petroglyphs on what’s called “Wedding Rock” on the beach (mainland)after hiking the Cape Alava trail along w/a shack w/whale bones.

BUT, traveling 80 miles at roughly 20 min. per mile, it would take 16 hours if my math is right. You must be part machine, part human to reach an island at that distance and then what? Were you prepared to camp or know if there was a flat area to even set a tent up?

Was that a typo? Did you mean 8 miles which would be more reasonable, but still crazy in an ocean w/rogue unpredictable waves & weather? If you want to risk your life, make the odds better by leaving from La Push which has the coast guard right there near the marina.

Also, some off shore islands are off limits to the “white man” as well as beaches on reservations unless you have permission from the tribal commission.

On a side note, I had some Harley riding asshole say this ride up Mt. Walker (Olympics) was okay to ride up. Half way up, it’s washboard w/gravel w/no real ability to turn around. It worked out okay, but I doubt that this moron did that ride. He just wanted to screw over a non Harley rider. They just hate they over paid for a motorcycle that breaks down. They always seem to be pushing them off the ferries when they won’t start.

-Capri

P.S. - Can I get in on putting insurance on you too, lol???

The island furthest off the coast…
…of Washington is Destruction Island, as I recall, after spending untold hours pouring over these charts over the years. It is 3 miles off the coast and northwest of Olympic NP Kalaloch Campground.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=47.65381&lon=-124.43917&datum=nad83&u=4&layer=DRG100&size=l&s=200

To say that you’re looking for an island that’s not on any charts 79 (or was it 80?) miles off the coast of Washington is just unbelievable–let alone solo, in a kayak, in the winter. And when you don’t find it, you’ll just paddle the 80 miles back to the ‘nearest’ beach after already paddling 40 miles out from where the fishing boat dropped you off? I cannot think of any well known sea kayaker (name any of the names) who would purposely be found 80 miles off the Washington coast in winter, alone. There isn’t an island that far off the whole west coast of the the continental US, is there?

Kayakers do visit there on occasion (as they do at Tatoosh Island off Cape Flattery), but the legality of this was a bit fuzzy last time I looked into it. Here’s a shot of kayaks on Destruction Island. Picture is looking more or less west, I believe, from the westernish side of the island.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1094270744033945417DQuQBj

This (im)poster is either a troll; has problems with numbers, milages and dates; is the luckiest guy in the world to be alive; or is the world’s toughest, strongest most skillful kayaker, previously unkown to the masses.

Deep See
Deep See makes fabulous stuff. My favorite cold water paddling gloves are Deep See 4mm Comfort Dry Gloves.

Dive shops are great sources for paddling gear especially for cold water.

Islands
I know there are islands off the coast CA between San Diego and LA (Catalina for one) but think they are in the 10-20 mile range. I have seen groups paddle out to them from the mainland in postings.

As to OceansFury - with the ability to disguise oneself online - who is to say it wasn’t one of the famous Nigel’s — or even — AL GORE - Who invented the Internet AND led the push for global climate change!!! (snicker)

Nigel - Al - is that you?

nice pics!
maybe he meant Hawaii

be safe
…you’re skimping a bit to live a great dream - very cool. Be as safe as you can.

LOL
Nature Valley Pecan Crunch Granola bar - 190 calories

Lipton Cup O Soup noodles - 61 calories

Dinty Moore Microwave Meal Chicken & Dumplings - 190 calories

Total intake: 441 calories

Basal Metabolic Rate for typical human: 1500-2000 calories

I don’t think anyone needs to worry about the water killing you. You’ll starve to death in short order.

thought I read
80 miles from the beach…not 80 miles out. Could have been 500 yards off shore but 80 miles from the beach?

am I wrong?

Paul

Henderson Magma Winter Hood.

– Last Updated: Jan-03-08 5:00 PM EST –

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-282/022014/Hyperflex-by-Henderson-5mm-Magma-Winter-Hood.html

Covers the neck very well. Could cover the forehead better to prevent icecream headaches.

Paul

update: I wear this if rolling in winter lakes, 40-45 F water, and pull the hood down over my forehead a little bit. For ocean, 50 F, I just wear the mystery hood.

Sorry OceansFury, I’m calling BS
I am lucky enough to know only a couple of kayakers that could put in at Port Angles and get to the west side of Vancouver Island. That trip starts off with a 20 mile crossing of the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Currents will switch during the crossing, summer winds funnel in at a average of 25-35 knots in the best of days. I find it unbelievable that a relative self taught novice could pull of just the crossing, never mind the additional coastal paddling along the outside of Vancouver Island. Where you arrive at Vancouver Island is a little place known as Race Rocks. They do BCU 5-Star training in that tidal race.

I love your enthusiasm for the sport, but I fear I’ll be reading about you in the next version of Deep Trouble. Venturing out in winter conditions on the west coast alone without solid skills shows a complete lack of judgement.

Yeah…but…
lets cut Oceans Fury some slack…I once stated I was intermediate level!!! (before I knew what that meant) So I am not entirely without my own 800 lb gorilla…

S

You’re right, leave him alone
I’m pretty sure I saw OceansFury when I was out playing in 30-ft swell and 50 knot winds with Nigel Dennis on a day trip about 45 miles out. Nigel was getting cold and tired and I offered him a cup of hot tea I keep in my PFD. His fingers were too cold to hold the tea cup, so I hooked up a tow line and as I was towing Nigel back to Vancouver Island, I swear I saw OceansFury surfing down the swells on his way out to the mystery island.

thanks Paul
just ordered it

Paul