DSLR in dry bag, would it survive a capsize/roll?

Waterproof point and shot I have an old Nikon Cool Pic 200 with 5X optic zoom that is going on 10 years old. The old sensor tends to overexpose so I just lower the EV setting. It is in the pocket of my PFD whenever I am on the water. I have posted lots of photos here that were taken with it.

After a previous camera discussion, I decided to purchase a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 with a 2.8 24X lens that is rated splash and rain proof.

As would happen the first time I took it out on the water I experience several firsts for me. The first time I capsized in my solo canoe not on WW. The fits time I used the camera while on the water. The first time I left my bailer home and the first and hopefully last time the camera was totally submerged while around my neck taking pictures. I was going down stream backwards in the canoe taking pictures when the current pushed me up on a log dumping me out of the canoe. went in over my head camera and all. I climbed quickly out on the same log while holding onto the canoe. I checked the camera and saw water in it and turned it off immediately. Used my boot to bail the canoe and got back in. Pulled out at a sand bar and took the battery out and shook out some of the water. When I returned home, I opened up the battery compartment and put the camera on a hot pad. I checked the temp to be sure it didnā€™t overheat the camera. A day and a half latter it worked fine. Saltwater would have ended it I do believe.

1 Like

I had an i-phone drown in 1/4 " of water in a little double sealed plastic dry bag that sprung a leak. It was hanging from my neck and would occasionally dip into the puddle in my spray skirt. I then had another larger rubber type dry bag which sprung a little leak. It must have banged into something in my boat or? Donā€™t believe this nonsense that i-phones are waterproof. Water resistant maybe, but never submerge them, even for a few seconds. I am still using the second bag with a piece of duct tape on the seal 3 years later and it has been dry again, so far. It is fine to keep snacks and things that arenā€™t too valuable or even my wallet with plastic cards and money in it or my car key fob with the water proof seal in it. You are in a whole other world though if you are thinking about a dry bag going for a swim in class 3 whitewater though. Just check out the uncountable number of scars on my helmet from my younger days which I still break out occassionally and heaven help you if it gets snagged on a sharp piece of wood from a broken branch in a strainer. If you have something valuable and fragile, I would definitely double bag it, or double something it.

On the other hand, my next i-phone has done pretty well kayaking on flat water just in a pocket on my pfd. I see things that I want to take pictures of and sometimes donā€™t have more than a few seconds to take a picture of, like that only wild mountain lion I have ever seen sipping from the little river I am on 50 yards in front of me or the cute little weasel running along side of me on the riverā€™s edge looking for a good place to pose. I take the risk that I might have to pay $229 on my insurance to get it fixed or replaced but I like the near instant accessability of its camera which continues to improve with every release of a new phone.

1 Like

I donā€™t think i-things have ever been waterproof. OTOH Iā€™ve accidentally tested my Galaxy several times, including once where the time submerged was double itā€™s IP rating. No problem, but I wouldnā€™t recommend doing it on purpose.

Best bang for the buck on a kayaking camera may well be a used Galaxy at a phone store without getting any service for it. That way if you do drown it you wonā€™t be out much $. Donā€™t get a refurb though; if they took it apart to replace the battery, they surely didnā€™t keep it waterproof when they put it back together.

1 Like

I like that idea of using a 2nd phone as just a camera. I have an old galaxy samsung that still works but has short battery life. Iā€™ll start packing it with the cameras. Another option is a small waterproof camcorder and use it in still mode. I usually carry it on my person for easy access although in a cheap ripstop nylon roll closure bag.

1 Like

Havenā€™t looked into it, but insurance riders, if you have homeownerā€™s insurance, for cameras and phones are pretty cheap.

While that might make some sense, your lens has a huge impact on the quality of the image. I would NOT want to lose a lens to a leaky bag either.

I use my Nikon D800E with a roll type bag for lake and creek paddling where a flip is NOT / hasnā€™t ever happened. I use my Nikon AW320 when I want a capture under more questionable conditions.

My S20 has been in salt and fresh water trips into the water and still survives. I keep it in a pocket in my pfd. Its amazing on how water resistant they are now.

A little powered air into the charging port and its good to go, though I do rinse it with fresh water after a salt water immersion.

Iā€™ll keep it until it dies and it takes good pics for what its intended. I use it a lot with the ReLive app. Makes great videos. Relive 'Okefenokee'

thanks. Using the camera on a Smartphone is practical ,many are watrrproof to ipx 68 ( you could dive with it) ,& you are bringing it along anyways to keep in touch & have online weather updates .

The problem is to be compact they lack a zoom lens.

Electronics that claim to be waterproof are until the day they are not. Gaskets and seals tend to dry out over time. Leakage in salt water is often fatal and can corrode external ports unless flushed, preferably with distilled water. Some cameras are designed for immersion and are good for quite a while even at considerable depths. I donā€™t know of any phones that are specifically designed for immersion at this time or have warranties that cover water damage.

I wouldnā€™t consider IPX 68 as suitable for diving, unless you limit your diving to 1.5 meters (less than 5ā€™) for 30 minutes or less.

1 Like

If you are looking for protection Iā€™d go with a pelican case, pluck out foam. Maintain seals, store case unlocked. Pretty much bomber at that point. I understand thereā€™s a place where you can pay to watch a gorilla play with your luggage. I bet pelican cases has done that.

But with a pelican case do you have room in the boat to open the case and safely get out the camera? I find myself going to the phone for on water shots. Of course Iā€™ve already lost one phone due to negligence on the water. So maybe Iā€™ll just shut up and let somebody else dispense advice.

I second the Pelican case. There are other lesser but still effective cases. But, if you have rolled, things get knocked around, a well padded Pelican works. 2016 a 1,300 mile solo trip with Pelican knock off. Chargers, solar, cameras, GPSs, etc. stayed protected and dry for the 3 months. I have used the same cases several times since probably doubling that total, same positive result, dry and protected. And most or all of that, flat water to Class V rapids, lots of IVs tons of IIs and IIIs. Pelican cases work.

Iā€™ve used a Pelican case to carry a Canon D5 Mk IV, but only to get it to a campsite where I would be using it on land. I just use a waterproof point and shoot camera on the water. The case and camera are too bulky to use on the water. Plus the risks of a DSLR on primarily salt water.