Dumb Apparel Question

Yup
:-)), lol

I’m 66, live in Atlanta, and still see
some need for protection against full immersion in winter paddling. Not for the easy stuff I can run in my sleep, but even the Nantahala in winter is worth drysuit-type protection.

Further thoughts

– Last Updated: Apr-24-09 2:08 PM EST –

First, I agree with Nate. Having proper dry pants but not a dry top will leave you with a dry lap but cold soggy feet, also a lot of opportunity to practice colorful language while you try and get it off over your ankle with cold hands. And the latex gasket will require messy replacement at some point. These gaskets don't last forever. More important, those pants won't do a thing to get in front of hypothermia should you end up swimming, during or after.

I would suggest one of two alternatives, more use for your buck. One is to get splash pants, without the latex gasket to worry about maintianing, and a really good pair of mukluks, waterproof, like Chotas or similar so you can wade in a bit to launch.

The second and I think much better, is to get the SuperNova. It's cheaper than a GoreTex suit and still breathes better than coated nylon. You can wade in higher, if you do take a swim and some water comes in thru the neck you are still upright again in a suit that'll block wind to mitigate hypothermia. They are quite comfy with the neoprene neck for most, and better yet you get waterproof fabric booties that if properly maintained will keep your feet warm and dry. Once you've experienced truly dry feet in cold water, you won't go back.

Like the Person
posted earlier, different strokes …

I managed, actually flourished, during 26 years in the Army, including Airborne duty, Ranger school and 2 years in combat. And I ain’t dead yet.

Some people say (with heated, righteous conviction), “Cotton kills!” But I LIKE cotton during warm weather; I’ll always wear it, even though that makes me notably un-cool (pun intended).

What I DON’T do is paddle - not ever - without wearing my PFD. Quite a few people don’t think that’s important.

Can you wear
water boots with something like the Super Nova? I’m fond of my ATB Wetshoes that NRS sells? One foot is in bad (neurological) shape, and the Wetshoes really help.

Thanks for the other thoughts and advice.

Water shoes
You can put any boot/shoe over the booties as long as they aren’t so tight that the bootie and any socks underneath won’t fit. The only limit is that you want something that won’t let sand and grit get between the bottom of the shoe and and the bootie, so if sandals you need to lay a sock over the bootie to protect it. That’s to prevent leaks developing from small wear points.

I have relatively small feet for my size, so I end up with extra bootie material and end up having to go up a half size from regular shoe to accommodate that. And of course it is easier to pull on boots with zippers or more loose tops than ones with really tight ankle fitting.

But in general, yes you can and should wear shoes over the fabric booties.

Thanks to everyone
who’s posted. I now have some good information, sound (I’m sure) advice and a few thoughts to ponder over the coming months.

Meanwhile, they’re predicting 88F degrees here tomorrow. Hooah!!

Well, that’s a relief.
If I had to walk the equivalent of barefoot, that would be a non-starter.