Dumb multi-tool question.

Kershaw makes a lock-plier multi tool
I use mine at work (Dairy maintenance guy) mercilessly. The vice-grip function serves as a third hand which would be, um, handy for say, tightening thru-deck bolts where your arms just won’t reach the nut and the bolt at the same time.

Two downsides, it rusts really fast and it’s made in the USA so it doesn’t have the much superior Robertson screwdriver bit.

I carry two
I have one on my PFD, another in my repair kit.

The PFG one I use a lot! Once to free a gull from a shark-hook, often to cut the points off abandoned fish-hooks when I clean the lakes.

So far I’ve never needed to use them to repair my boat though.

Swiss Army Awl
"The one thing I have never figured why the keep putting them in swiss army knives and the like is the awl. That is the most superfluous tool in the world."

Yeah, until you need to repair a piece of leather like a pack strap or knife sheath, or punch a new hole in a leather belt.

I’ve been able to do that with my
single blade buck folder.

Pipe wrap better than gaffer tape?
Have you tried it against gorilla tape? I just discovered this as a cheaper alternative to gaffer tape and a better performer than duct tape (although duct tape can’t be beat for removing my stepson’s warts.) How does pipe wrap compare to duct tape in price?

Agree with that

– Last Updated: Feb-02-07 2:21 PM EST –

I would rather have to face the low chance of replacing a screw once I got home because I mangled the head with the wrong size driver than have to carry a tool box with me every time I head out. I find the two phillips sizes on my leatherman work for most things.

For reels I usually carry extras, so if one fails I pick another one up. I don't like doing reel repair in the field. I like to wash the salt off, let it dry, then work on it inside with good light, a clean environment