DVD Suggestions

A corrections on EJ
I just reviewed EJ’s rolling and bracing DVD this morning. He doesn’t show a pure C-C at all. It’s more of a sweep layback roll, but still with a strong hip snap/leg lift. He very much uses the layback and head down that he teaches for recovering with the high brace. I would consider this to be positive for the long boater who can lay back on their deck.

Paul S.

Not quite
The roll he teaches to beginners is a C to back deck roll. A sweep to back deck roll involves starting the hip snap during the sweep. So the progression, in common terms, is set up, sweep without boat rotation, hip snap while moving the body to the back right quadrant (“on side”). The “advanced roll” he describes involves use of whatever technique will get you up from your current position. That sometimes involves sweeps with boat rotation, sculls, and virtually every other roll technique. The demonstrations he performs and the footage he shows often are examples of the advance roll rather than the setup roll he describes. So the description of the roll as a modified C-to-C is accurate. Its just that the second “C” is replaced with a movement “down and back”.

Thanks, help me out.
First, thanks for the clarification. It was helpful.

Help me out though. In the beginning, before EJ shows the advanced rolls where he recovers from various starting positions, he did include some sweep motion, as opposed to move the paddle from setup to straight out at 90 degrees all above the water before starting the second C, to my eyes anyway.

Does a pure C-C require a movement of the paddle above the water from set up to 90 degrees?

Because it’s hard to tell tone in writing, I want to say that I’m sure you know what you’re talking about. I’m just trying to extract a little more information, and hoping my comments in this post make some sense.

Paul

Pure C-to-C
Have a look at Chris Spelius’s video on the C-to-C.

http://www.exchile.com/KayakSchoolRollIdentifier.htm

Or this article by Ken Kastorff.

http://www.endlessriveradventures.com/test/bombproofroll.shtml

Spelius and Kastorff were the early proponents of the C-to-C roll. I think it is clear in both the article and the video that there should be no boat rotation from setup to the 90 degree position. Kastorff even goes so far as to say that the paddle should be completely out of the water. But, then, there is no particular reason to do a pure C-to-C. A sweep to C, for example, is a fast and very reliable roll.

OK, I get it.
It’s about what motion is rolling the boat up. Duh!

Thanks,

Paul S.

If you have a whitewater background…
you’ll find the DVD really good. Of course, I think if you don’t have a ww background you’ll enjoy the dvd as well. One of the things I love so much about paddling is that the skills you learn from all the various disciplines of paddling are transferable. Skills I learned from ww have transferred to touring and even paddling my sprint boat. Sprint boating taught me how to really do a powerful forward stroke and that has really helped my ww and touring boating.